Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DigitalSpecV03
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
DigitalSpecV03

If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Empty
PostSubject: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2010, 8:20 pm

I wasn't quite sure where to post this so Mods, feel free to move it where ever you see fit.

Seeing how I noticed today that O'reilly's electronic catalogs we're completely incorrect today and have quite possibly ruined a fellow members engine in his vehicle I feel compelled to post this in hopes to educate anyone on here when they go to any auto parts store to ensure that they get the correct plugs. The following is a scan of page 190 in the NGK Automotive spark plug catalog listing all Imprezas from 93 through 2009:

If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Ngkpg111

The plug in question today was for an '04 STi (engine designation 257), which called for a LFR6AIX-11. He was given a BKR5EIX-11, which is for an '05 (engine designation 253), noticeably different in length, heat range and obviously part # the electronic catalog stated that this was the correct plug... obviously not. I've contacted corporate to correct their catalogs so hopefully this doesn't happen again.

I hope this helps everyone here who owns an Impreza when they need plugs. Also on a side note, I've noticed a lot of the listings for these cars aren't always 100% correct... I don't know why but be extra cautious when purchasing parts. If at all possible bring the old part in when purchasing the new one to match it up. I try my best to find the right part when people come in to see me, but I have no control over everyone else who works for the company unfortunately.

Back to top Go down
haproot
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]

PostSubject: Re: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2010, 9:20 pm

Moved to Engine section.
Thanks for the info. I've also read that the -11 designated parts for the turbo motors is wrong as well.. however i need to verify that. I've been looking for a new set of plugs for an 08, but i can't seem to find a straight answer on exactly what the part numbers are for iridium, platinum, and copper plugs. Hell, I can't even find copper plugs at all for my car, and all the major aftermarket suppliers only seem to carry a step colder. Which I have no need for just yet.

Heard about Zach's car today. That's a bummer. I wonder what Oreilly's is gonna do about it.

Back to top Go down
ghost
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ghost

PostSubject: Re: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2010, 9:36 pm

i heard about zachs car , i sure hope oriellys steps up and admitts there screw up and completly foots the bill for fixing his car . or i would definitly pursure sum legal action ,
there suppose to know better ...
Back to top Go down
.-DoUbLe @-.
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
.-DoUbLe @-.

PostSubject: Re: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2010, 9:43 pm

Yeah I really hope Oreilly's steps up and takes care of things correctly I only go to the King store and only when certain employees are there and I will wait very patiently for them (Dan and Hoot) they know their shit and will try to find a solution to your problems Smile
Back to top Go down
DigitalSpecV03
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
DigitalSpecV03

PostSubject: Re: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2010, 9:54 pm

Yeah I hope they do something because the electronic catalog is something us parts guys use a lot, especially for something as simple as spark plugs.

As for the -11 on the NGKs I've tried to find the ones without the -11 and basically NGK has superseded them to the -11 plugs... which according to the specifications in the catalog means it has a .041" gap, which is odd because the ones i gave Zach were right at .037" out of the box... and according to the catalog he needs to be at .030" yet I've been told by various mechanics that the fine-wire iridiums don't need to be gapped at all.

At any rate I sure hope o'reillys owns up to their error and helps Zach out. I've given him everything he needs including warrantying out the wrong plugs for the correct ones, and all related receipts to help aid him in this.
Back to top Go down
DigitalSpecV03
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
DigitalSpecV03

PostSubject: Re: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2010, 10:03 pm

haproot wrote:
Moved to Engine section.
Thanks for the info. I've also read that the -11 designated parts for the turbo motors is wrong as well.. however i need to verify that. I've been looking for a new set of plugs for an 08, but i can't seem to find a straight answer on exactly what the part numbers are for iridium, platinum, and copper plugs. Hell, I can't even find copper plugs at all for my car, and all the major aftermarket suppliers only seem to carry a step colder. Which I have no need for just yet.

Heard about Zach's car today. That's a bummer. I wonder what Oreilly's is gonna do about it.

As for your '08, according to the NGK book it says that either:

LFR6AIX-11 (Iridium IX Series)
or
SILFR6A (OE Plug, Iridium center electrode w/ Platinum ground electrode)

Now that being said, that is for a EJ255, if it is a EJ253 then it would be a different plug and heat range.
Back to top Go down
haproot
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]

PostSubject: Re: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2010, 10:06 pm

Yeah they are supposed to be pregapped between .028 - .031 for the turbo 2.5. I believe that goes for the 2.0 turbo as well. That's what I'm reading on iwsti is the -11's are gapped too big. Here's a link, it pertains to a step colder, 7 range ngk rather than a 6. Third hand knowledge but one of the guys claims to have called NGK and asked. Post 7.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/153940-ngk-spark-plug-part-no-1-step-colder-08-sti.html

Back to top Go down
DigitalSpecV03
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
DigitalSpecV03

PostSubject: Re: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2010, 10:14 pm

That makes sense because basically how the numbers in NGK plugs determines the heat range:

Lower = Hotter & Higher = Colder

As for the -11 if you can't find the ones without, all you really have to do it re-gap them yourselves. Takes some tedious time and effort (Iridium is a harder metal than you think lol) but Brandon and I sat in oreillys (while I was on the clock) and re-gapped all 4 of his to .030 before he left the store. To this day he hasn't had any issues that I know of.
Back to top Go down
haproot
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]

PostSubject: Re: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2010, 10:21 pm

Nice yeah it seems they are the same just need to check the gap, which I would do anyways. Smile Good info!
Back to top Go down
BlackedOut04
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
BlackedOut04

PostSubject: Re: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2010, 1:06 am

This is what actually turned me onto checking the part # on the plugs that I received from O'Reilly's:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518633

Oooodles of good info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.   If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you own a Subaru, read this before you purchase spark plugs.
Page 1 of 1