Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rwheelz
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]

SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Empty
PostSubject: SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?   SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 1:55 pm

So I was filling up our bikes at a Conoco station in Laurel last weekend, and this guy comes over to me and says "I have one of these things, and you should be using Sinclair gas". He then goes on to tell me his good friend works in the oil and gas industry and he claims that Sinclair does not use a "blended" fuel (I assume he means ethanol) like all of the big name stations around here. He said he noticed a difference immediately when he switched to Sinclair.

So what are y'all using? I have been putting Conoco in everything I own, because they are easy to find and I figured it would at least be consistent. Aside from the butt-dyno, the only way I can really measure a change in performance is in my STI, where I can use the accessport to monitor knock correction. Since the car was tuned using Conoco fuel and doesn't really knock, I can't really tell if there is better performance using Sinclair, only if there is worse performance.

I know we have had a few fuel-related threads on here, and I thought someone mentioned that the 91 at Conoco does not have ethanol in the mix.

On a related note, I noticed that the Cenex at the Lockwood exit now sells 93 octane (ethanol blended). Can anyone tell me, just speaking generally, is 91 octane without ethanol theoretically better or worse than 93 octane with ethanol?
Back to top Go down
haproot
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]

PostSubject: Re: SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?   SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 3:23 pm

All I can say is that I've been living by the Conoco 91 (which has ethanol) for quite some time. I datalog my car regularly and found that the 91 began to knock on me. I went to the zip trip (fyi almost all zip trips have 93 now) on broadwater and 16th and picked up some 93 there. And the problem was solved for the time being.

I can say that non ethanol gas gives me great gas mileage, but not sure if helps me in the power dept at all.

I'm in the process of beating my AFR's to death by leaning my car up to 10.8 @ full boost, I'm still in the process, but before I was running closer to 10.1.. which is just horribly rich. So far it is going well with the 93 for me. When before I hated the stuff as my wrx didn't like it at all.

Personally, I would think that the ethanol blends would be more knock resistant than their non blended counterparts, but I'm no expert.

Back to top Go down
rwheelz
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]

PostSubject: Re: SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?   SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 4:24 pm

haproot wrote:
All I can say is that I've been living by the Conoco 91 (which has ethanol) for quite some time. I datalog my car regularly and found that the 91 began to knock on me. I went to the zip trip (fyi almost all zip trips have 93 now) on broadwater and 16th and picked up some 93 there. And the problem was solved for the time being.

I can say that non ethanol gas gives me great gas mileage, but not sure if helps me in the power dept at all.

I'm in the process of beating my AFR's to death by leaning my car up to 10.8 @ full boost, I'm still in the process, but before I was running closer to 10.1.. which is just horribly rich. So far it is going well with the 93 for me. When before I hated the stuff as my wrx didn't like it at all.

Personally, I would think that the ethanol blends would be more knock resistant than their non blended counterparts, but I'm no expert.

I am glad someone else is at least thinking about this. FWIW Luke, my tuner has my car running mid to high 10's at WOT. He set it up this way so I could flog it on the track without having any problems. On a car with a built motor he goes leaner, and even on a car with an aggressive street tune he runs them leaner. He was adamant that if I want to really track the car, I do not want it tuned any higher than 10.8 at WOT until I have aftermarket pistons at a minimum. I will give the local 93 a try, but am also going to try out this Sinclair gas to see if I feel a difference in my cars or on my bikes. I would think we could notice more of a difference in boosted cars.
Back to top Go down
ts4l
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ts4l

PostSubject: Re: SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?   SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 5:38 pm

All gases available these days are a blend, even Sinclair cannot guarantee since they never supply all their own gas stations. One Sinclair may be straight from the refinery while the one across the street will not. I'm boarding a plane but I'll go into more depth later if anyone cares. We work closely shipping and selling materials from all the Refineries around the mid west so we get to know a lot of the inside secrets.
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?   SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 6:02 pm

that corn gas has less energy than std gasoline. the higher to octane, the slower it burns is the main difference. not really adding performance but lets you add little bits of timming or boost or airflow in some cases. like Jason mentioned most all are blended. i dislike blended fuels for the reason that ethanol absorbs water. I'm a Exxon/bp man myself. I've gotten more tanks of bad fuel from conoco than i like (not in billings).
Back to top Go down
http://sfrperformance.com
ProOnThaSnow
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
ProOnThaSnow

PostSubject: Re: SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?   SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 6:50 pm

In my car a it sits now, whatever is cheapest is what I run. I'm waiting for this single cam to let loose any day.

In my truck - Diesel, with additive every once in a while - I'd run it constantly, but I typically fill my truck at least once or twice a day when I am working (yes, it gets EXPENSIVE!).

When the swap gets done, it'll be high 91/93 octane but really I don't have a preference on brand out here. When I lived in WA Shell gasoline would consitently ive me 2-3 mpg's more mileage than any other, but we don't have any Shell stations.
Back to top Go down
ts4l
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ts4l

PostSubject: Re: SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?   SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 9:42 pm

You also need to remember ethanol has a different stoichometric ratio so the advantages of more boost, timing need to include a new tune with more fuel. I only state this so no one thinks they can dump in a half tank of E85 and run 30 psi. Running E85 requires nearly twice as much fuel per air.

But in the same aspect most stockish cars, even those with a mild tune should not have any problems running fuel with 10% ethanol blended in. Seeing low knock count numbers on a scanner\tuner doesn't mean much, especially with how inaccurate oem knock sensors are with even small modifications to the engine. Tuning to knock count is not a very efficient way to tune as with most newer engines they are not knock limited and will be over timed to make mbt.
Back to top Go down
rwheelz
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]

PostSubject: Re: SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?   SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2010, 3:18 pm

Well I did fill up with some Sinclair gas today. I did not notice a difference Wink However, it does say on their pumps "up to 10% ethanol may be included", however, it only says this on the lower grades, not on the 91 octane.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?   SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SINCLAIR gas, is it better for your ride?
Page 1 of 1