Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)

Go down 
+6
DoodieHead
hapapoo
b1r - TS
Cyfun
jdmsolutions
sprockmember
10 posters
AuthorMessage
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Empty
PostSubject: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2012, 10:26 pm

Alright... so the subject may be a lie... but I am experimenting with the $50 paint job.

I'm not sure if you dudes have heard of this, but there's quite a bit around the "internets" on how to do this... there's actually a few forums dedicated to it.

I decided to roll mine, so... I bought some Interlux polyurethane boat paint (a lot of folks simply use rustoleum... but I think almost any oil based paint will work) some mineral spirits, a high density roller and some prep materials and I was off and running!

Here's the car... my free 1990 subaru legacy wagon. I fell in love with this car this winter, so I thought she deserved a new coat of freshness.

First I prepped it as anyone would to paint a vehicle.

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 290caaf9

Then... the rolling began!

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 5acad83b
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 19eab00b

As you can see, you get some bubbles, there is a "roll and tip" method that alot of boat guys use to level everything... I just ran over the paint with a roller until it sat down.

Here's the progress so far... this is two coats

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 5898113f

Depending on the product you use, you have to wetsand every few coats, and at the end, you cut, buff and wax everything and you're done.

I'll keep you guys updated, feel free to ask any questions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/noisenoisenoise
jdmsolutions
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
jdmsolutions

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2012, 1:13 pm

Can you paint my truck?
Back to top Go down
http://honda-tech.com
Cyfun
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2012, 2:50 pm

Lookin good so far. I experimented with this a bit on my Trans Am with black Rustoleum. Never could get the ratio of mineral spirits to paint down, so I had to sand the fuck out of it. But once you hit it with 1500 grit sandpaper, looks bitchin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/cyfun/
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2012, 3:52 pm

Well... due to the fact that I know nothing about body work, I sanded much of the car down (initially) with 80 grit... and then moved to 180. When I put the first two coats on, I was sure the "cuts" left from the 80 grit would be filled in... not so much. In fact, the paint appeared to balloon and look really really bad.

So... I sanded everything down once more... sprayed some primer on, and sanded it again... what a joy!

Here's the suby... prepped again...

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 8d2399d4
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 78f2c900

I also bought some "hammered" finish paint and painted the bottom of the doors and bumper to try and hide the imperfections. We'll see if it works.
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2012, 3:58 pm

Here's the car with two fresh coats on it. I'm now using the roll and tip method (which is working MUCH better than trying to roll out all the bubbles. With a 50/50 mixture of mineral spirits and paint I've got very little orange peel this time. It's looking much better!

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) F03f5fca
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Ab9eadc0
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 739f0999

The top of the car (which was never sanded with 80 grit, and never got any primer) is looking really well. Nice and dark... and pretty glossy

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Be2cfaeb

Here's the reflection shot...

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Ff3e8db1

If anyone tries this... Here's the brush I'm using for the "tip" of roll and tip. It's working really well.

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 5148787d
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2012, 6:52 pm

Basking in the sun. Hurry up and cure paint... I want to start wetsanding again.

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 0acdd93c
Back to top Go down
b1r - TS
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
b1r - TS

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2012, 11:40 am

I hope you keep the blue tape, so that you can have that "racer" two tone look! Good work, now go jump it and get it muddy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamsprock.com
jdmsolutions
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
jdmsolutions

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2012, 11:50 am

Smurf camo, my suggestion would be to paint it baby blue though, but that's just how i do
Back to top Go down
hapapoo
[FETUS]
[FETUS]

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2012, 12:36 pm

sweet nice job.
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2012, 1:38 am

Well... coats 3 and 4 are done... now I have to wait a few days, wet sand, and roll again. The coverage is finally starting to look decent. Here's the documentation.

Coat 3 in the sunlight:

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 3f11f3c9

Coat 3 in the garage:

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 9111d79f

Here's the difference between coats 2 and 3:

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 09bed901

And finally, coat 4 soaking up the bugs...

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) C02eb6ce
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2012, 2:00 pm

Fourth coat is done... now it's time to wetsand... this coat turned out much less glossy than pervious coats... but it'll be sanded down anyways. The coverage is better, which is what I'm really concerned with now.

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) F11ad7fb
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 6a2b49c6
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2012, 2:33 am

I'm never doing anything Jake Fox tells me to do again... I tried to explain to him, "My car is not a wall... you shouldn't roll paint on to it." However, he suckered me into trying this... now my arm has been rendered useless due to wetsanding.
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2012, 5:47 pm

Looks great though. Keep going, I want to see the end product.
Back to top Go down
http://www.maecforum.com
SqueamishPuppet
[FETUS]
[FETUS]
SqueamishPuppet

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2012, 7:29 pm

Id like to see the end product too. I got an Integera that needs a cheap paint job.

Where did you get your paint and brush?
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 1:51 am

#5 is on... still some light spots on the hood and fenders, but I think I've got the gloss back... and it's settling really nice. I think I finally have the mixture/time/environment close to right. We'll see if I have any brush marks or orange peel tomorrow... I do know that I've caught a lot of bugs.

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 2bed7b3e
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 3ab42c4d
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 08ae1130

Holden, I'm using Interlux Brightside... which is a polyurethane boat paint (which I ordered from an ebay seller). The brush is from Wal-Mart.
Back to top Go down
jdmsolutions
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
jdmsolutions

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 2:41 pm

nels can you please try and be like these guys when your car is done?
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Straight-ballin
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 2:44 pm

Are you saying I'm not already like them?
Back to top Go down
jdmsolutions
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
jdmsolutions

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 2:46 pm

You may be "straight ballin", but it's uncertain if you will ever be ICY HOT STUNTIN
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 2:59 pm

Alright... I guess it's time to step up my game!
Back to top Go down
jdmsolutions
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
jdmsolutions

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 3:01 pm

Yes, platinum watch and a mofuggin tennis bracelet, flossin
Like a boss!
Back to top Go down
ts4l
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ts4l

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 3:19 pm

Hum I better dig up some pics of Nels I have, I think he may have started the Icy Hot trend!
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 3:22 pm

Two can play this game Smase... I think it's time to see Jason in the black accord days!
Back to top Go down
ts4l
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ts4l

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 4:56 pm

OK Ok i'll burn those pics!
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2012, 11:48 pm

#6 is done... now to wetsand with a finer grit... and as Matt said in another post, my right arm is going to be huge after this project.

Here she is in the sun. Light spots are visible but fading... I'm hoping it'll only take a few more coats... but honestly, at this point, I'm ready to be done with it! I've figured out what works and what doesn't and the car looks 10 times better than it did when I got it. It was a little embarrassing having your own students giggle at the shape of your car. With school right around the corner, and a bigger project coming up very soon, the dumb idea of starting two more bands, and a crazy fun 2 and a 1/2 month old... I'm ready to just drive and enjoy.

Pics.

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) E2b6d790
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 5864176b

Reflection (note... it'll clear up once the last wetsand and cut and buff happen).

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 0b1f285f
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2012, 12:13 pm

So... before my "last" coat I had some orange peel that I decided to sand with 320 (when everything else was sanded with 1000). After this I started polishing the roof. I came out pretty good... except for the parts I sanded with 320, which had these great big swirl marks on an otherwise consistant finish. Another lesson learned.

So, I stated by singling out those spots I did with 320, sanded them with 400, then 600, then 800, then 1000. Of course, by that time I had sanded through to the original paint in places, so I ordered another quart of the brightside and will be putting a few more coats on when it arrives (and I have time).

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 6BDAFE5E-AA54-4D85-9B9D-678EE6D54334-11769-0000101ECB7DBF48

Wetsanding fun...

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) B5D25B22-98D5-4F1A-848F-0C96E59820AD-11769-0000101EBFC69F67
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2012, 8:08 pm

Sanding sucks. By the time I am done with a car I have sanded the whole thing about 4 times. It is very time consuming and very rough on the arms if you block it and dont use an orbital sander/DA.
Back to top Go down
http://www.maecforum.com
Cyfun
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 8:17 pm

I'd like to learn how to do this, would love to see how your car's coming.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/cyfun/
jdmsolutions
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
jdmsolutions

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2012, 11:41 am

lookin crayola fresh! so its this a 50 dollar paint job? or is it a 50 dollars of sand paper job?
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2013, 1:23 pm

New grill... I'm going for the natural look.

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 7288E0C1-F25B-4B20-B7BA-2AA21D7B8070-6432-0000096C86D0BB5C_zpsbbee5837
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2013, 1:49 pm

You tree hugger.... lol
Back to top Go down
sprockmember
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
sprockmember

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2013, 8:40 pm

My time with the legacy has come to an end. My wife was unimpressed with the safety features (or lack there of) on the blue beast, and the massive amount of miles... and convinced me that we should get something newer, especially since I'm carting around a little human quite a bit.

I'm not sure if I divulged this information earlier, but I got this car for free when I was in need... so it only makes sense that we give the car to someone else. It's going to be gone right after I respray the molding one more time.

The paint job is not quite done, I should still be sanded, and buffed... then waxed. However, I'm not going to put anymore time into this bad larry... so it will probably remain unfinished (it probably should have remained unpainted!).

Here it is in the low light!

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 8F948F95-B186-4731-B6F3-FF04E540F059-5481-000006A0030884C7_zps620e5304
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) B6BC0F9C-2A17-4753-967F-C275B18CEBBD-5481-000006A00AEB5AAE_zps08f0faac
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) BA6011DA-3DEF-4532-9128-3002842C52C9-5481-000006A0122A76E0_zps65ac4443
I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 87D5CE73-5117-48BB-BF03-68D1D71E4008-5481-000006A01BC2D918_zps0c42c5ba

Reflection shot...

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) 3FF7CD62-4EFB-4AD5-8850-078B63051C23-5481-000006A025EBCD41_zps89ba9d98
Back to top Go down
ts4l
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ts4l

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2013, 11:08 am

Did you already give it away or can we jump it first? I got some wood I'll start building a jump.
Back to top Go down
jdmsolutions
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
jdmsolutions

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2013, 3:07 pm

Does this mean your done renting my sanding blocks? In that case, 498,000 will cover the fee, I gave you a 2000 dollar discount for living close to me..
Back to top Go down
ProOnThaSnow
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
ProOnThaSnow

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 11:47 pm

I'd reinstate that $2,000 fee for the quick response time...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)   I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I know Mike Card's secret for a perfect paintjob (details inside)
Page 1 of 1