Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
HIVOLTJ
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
HIVOLTJ

Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 2:11 pm

Need to swap cam bearings out on a Ford 408 Cleveland. I'd like to do it myself so I can clean the block while they are out, and don't really want to spend $200 for the tool I'll use every 5 years.

In Billings
Back to top Go down
HIVOLTJ
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
HIVOLTJ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2013, 5:27 pm

The Lisle one in the red hard case should work just fine, the one with expandable rubber sleeves that work on most Domestic pushrod V-8s.

I'm not an axe murderer or anything like that, and I have beer.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2013, 7:35 pm

Sorry dude.
If I had one I'd let you borrow it. I've always just let the machine shop replace them while they were honing/boring or whatever else I had them doing at the same time. Could never justify the cost of the tool for how often I would use it. Sound familiar? lol
Back to top Go down
HIVOLTJ
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
HIVOLTJ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2013, 9:47 am

Not one to let cheapness get in the way of progress, I got them out last night. Wrapped the bearing journals of the old cam with duct tape and used it to drive the bearings out. It worked pretty good, other than being a real bitch to pull the bearings back off the cam.

I wanted to clean all the galleys out with a pressure washer before the new bearings went in.

Guess I'll take it to a machine shop now, and have them put the new ones in...
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2013, 1:17 pm

do you have a sockett the same diameter as the bearings?
Back to top Go down
http://sfrperformance.com
HIVOLTJ
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
HIVOLTJ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2013, 1:31 pm

No, ever done cam bearings? It doesn't quite work that way
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2013, 1:37 pm

lmfao..... I bet that i have installed more cam bearings in one day then you will in a lifetime. My dad is a retired machinist and engine builder. I build engines on the side. on bigger cat engines a socket and an etension on the socket is the only way to get them in. ive done it a few times on 350 chevys for buddies when they were in a bind and i didnt have my cam bearing tool with me.. i put the socket backwards on the extension.... drove them in. as far as i know they are still running today...
Back to top Go down
HIVOLTJ
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
HIVOLTJ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2013, 2:05 pm

Well, this is not a Caterpillar, or a small block chebbe.

Try that on a small block, cleveland, or big block ford and you will ruin the bearings

Also, just because it's still running, doesn't mean it was done "Right"

Seen plenty of fucked up shit that I could not believe was still running and not making noise.
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2013, 2:47 pm

Please expaond on all this engine building and machining expiance that you have. I fell i am in the presence of a great builder right now.

I build engines for $... Not a hobby. Puts food in my childs and wifes mouth. My reputation depends on being the best. I own Mitchell's Perfornnce, performance improvement inc., and work for Sfrperformance also. Who business do you own or work for doing this? Im not an Eric here....
Back to top Go down
HIVOLTJ
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
HIVOLTJ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2013, 2:55 pm

How about spelling, etiquette, and grammar lessons? I give those for free! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2013, 6:20 pm

Didn't figure that you would have credentials for engine building or automotive work at that.

O well... Never said that i was an english major... Usually have one of my front desk gals proof read important items of business before I email/mail thngs out.

Have fun working at wally world brother.
Back to top Go down
BlueSteel
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
BlueSteel

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2013, 12:28 am

haha Josh doesn't work at "wally world" and he is quite knowledgeable. I didn't see him state anywhere that he had engine building experience or machining experience. Seemed to me like he was simply just asking to borrow the correct tool for the job because he wanted to do it correctly and not damage anything. He doesn't have to own any businesses or have years of experience to want to get the job done right.

-Nik
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2013, 8:03 am

Well had josh actually said yea but i dont think it will work.... i would have explained that all the rubber rings/rubber sleve do is speed up the process of getting the bearing lined up with the journal. The straight metal collar of the tool is what drives the bearing in. Metal to Babbitt bearing contact on the outside edge of the bearing. The socket will take a long time, but will save him a few pennies and yes get the job done correctly.

There are all sorts of things you can do without the "propper tool". One of shaws 6.0s was warped so bad we had to make a bearing shaver out of a old cam. Way quicker and cheaper than rolling it to the machine shop.
Back to top Go down
BlueSteel
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
BlueSteel

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2013, 10:52 am

Well If I took my engine to a performance shop or business I wouldn't want them to use a large socket to install my cam bearings. I mean whats next? Hammer for the balancer? Hose clamps to compress the rings?

-Nik
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2013, 1:27 pm

You guys will have to excuse Chris.... He's not trying to be a jerk. He's just coming across that way. He's confident in his skills and Josh kinda slammed him he just reacted. Must be the Great Falls High attitude Chris has going or something....... lol.

(I'm throwing up the High School excuse because he lives in Great Falls.... and I went to school in Great Falls at CMR. Naturally The "Other" High school was Great Falls High. Just trying to be funny and make light of the situation. Just roll with it ok?)
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2013, 8:03 pm

BlueSteel wrote:
Well If I took my engine to a performance shop or business I wouldn't want them to use a large socket to install my cam bearings. I mean whats next? Hammer for the balancer? Hose clamps to compress the rings?

-Nik
. As i would not either. I didnt say to do it all of the time... only in a pinch.

Thanks Matt... im at a point in my life where i just go straight to the point. Ill admit im being a bit of a dick... but i learned manners to accept help when given. Not scoff it away right off the bat.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2013, 10:37 pm

Novaflash2002 wrote:

Thanks Matt... im at a point in my life where i just go straight to the point. Ill admit im being a bit of a dick... but i learned manners to accept help when given. Not scoff it away right off the bat.

Oh I hear you there. I have my own issues with lack of patience at times.... and evident in many of my posts. I'll be the first to admit I can be quite the dick myself. But you can't force people to take advice. There is a published torque spec for just about every bolt on an engine. When was the last time you met anyone that torqued every freaking bolt to spec with a torque wrench right down to coil pack bolts, and drain plugs? yeah.... but when you're first learning... might be a good idea till you get that calibrated torque wrench built into your wrist.

Back on topic.... this block will be at a machine shop I take it? And so now the machinist can install the new cam bearings while it's there. And this is the exact reason why I have never bought a cam tool. Because you can pop them out with any kind of improvised tool.... clean the block.....then let the machinist install them while he's honing/boring, line boring, decking, and painting the block pink. Oh wait.... they usually don't paint the block. Guess you'll have to find your own pink paint. And I guess pink isn't the only option but why not right? lol
Back to top Go down
Brett@K&KPerformance
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
Brett@K&KPerformance

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2013, 10:09 pm

Interesting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kandkperformanceonline.com
HIVOLTJ
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
HIVOLTJ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2013, 12:17 pm

BlueSteel wrote:
haha Josh doesn't work at "wally world" and he is quite knowledgeable. I didn't see him state anywhere that he had engine building experience or machining experience. Seemed to me like he was simply just asking to borrow the correct tool for the job because he wanted to do it correctly and not damage anything. He doesn't have to own any businesses or have years of experience to want to get the job done right.

-Nik

Thanks Nik, I'm sure the kid with the blue cavalier in his avatar builds some nice engines. Just not Fords it sounds like. Ford Cleveland cam bearings are tapered at the edges and very thin there. If you use anything except a cam bearing tool with the expandable rubber bushing that grips the inside of the bearing you will fuck them up, period.

Looks like i'll just make a tool from a new radiator test plug when it comes in. Mic'd the cam bearings and they are all just a hair over 2.00" (tapered in size from the front bearing to the rear of course) So a 2" expandable plug should do it along with a small piece of pipe with a nut welded inside the end. Just need to find something to use for the centering cone...

I don't feel comfortable handing this off to a shop after looking at the bearings. The are grooved on the backside to allow for re-clocking the oil hole to a different location, and have to be installed in a very particular way. No offense meant to anyone who works at a machine shop, I just don't think anyone around here knows Clevelands anymore.

It's amazing what you can pick up working at the Wal-mart! jocolor
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2013, 12:49 pm

[/quote]

Thanks Nik, I'm sure the kid with the blue cavalier in his avatar builds some nice engines. Just not Fords it sounds like. Ford Cleveland cam bearings are tapered at the edges and very thin there. If you use anything except a cam bearing tool with the expandable rubber bushing that grips the inside of the bearing you will fuck them up, period.

jocolor [/quote]

As are gm, and chrysler center block cam-bearings. The rings do not grip the bearing to push it in. They grip it to keep it on the tool while sliding the bearing throught the blcok. thats why #5 cam bearing will slide throught #1, #2, #3, and #4 journals....... I would like to see you put a cam bearing in without butting the edge of it up against the collar of the tool. the bearing would slide off the rings according to newtons laws... they wouldnt put the collar on the tool if it didnt do something....

my avatar is actually a honda accord Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
HIVOLTJ
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
HIVOLTJ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2013, 1:05 pm

I've seen the one with rubber o-rings but never used one. The one I've always used is the Lisle one that has a rubber bushing on the outside of the whole thing that grips the bearing. Unfortunately I no longer work with anyone that has one. I wouldn't say it defies physics lol, just have to have more friction on the inside than the outside where it goes in to the block.

My rubber test plug idea is not gonna work, it doesn't expand squarely and I can't consistently get the bearings square on there, would hate to drive them in crooked and wreck a set of $50 bearings that take weeks to get. I'll take it out to Jeff at Trans Time next weekend and have him do it while I wait.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2013, 6:42 pm

Don't forget the pink paint.
Whenever you build a really powerful engine.... regardless of whether it's going in a White Ranger, or a Blue Cavalier..... you paint it PINK. And a few performance stickers on the oil pan Eliminates the need to even tune the engine when you're done. Pink engines are special that way..... just sayin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?   Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a cam bearing tool they'd borrow me?
Page 1 of 1