Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

New motor in store for the SS.

Go down 
+8
ghost
OUT4BLOOD
turbotudor
04 Wagon Boy
DoodieHead
ZipDriveX
Dr.Auto
shawnss
12 posters
AuthorMessage
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

New motor in store for the SS. Empty
PostSubject: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2010, 8:56 pm

well on my way home today my truck started knocking. sounds like a rod knock so im pulling it and doing a rebuild. for once i wasnt on it and it just started to knock. so it looks as if im building a stroker im thinking either a 408 stroker or maybe a forged 370. no matter what i build it will be able to handle double the boost im thinking some where around 20 to 25PSi. hoping for some 11s with it. but im taking my time with it and not rushing like last time. next thing will be a level 7 tranny. im level 2 now and im thinking it wont handle what i will be throwing at it. Very Happy so let the build begin.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 12:50 am

lol.... that just happened to my civic last wekend.. except i was haulin through a corner and sloshed the oil away from the oil pickup. oil light flashed on thn knock knock knock...... all the way home. sucks. Atleast it's not too bad for us cause they're not our daily drivers right? lol
Back to top Go down
ZipDriveX
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
ZipDriveX

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 1:20 am

Shit ya Shawn!!! That's gonna be awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/317696
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 6:13 am

Dr.Auto wrote:
lol.... that just happened to my civic last wekend.. except i was haulin through a corner and sloshed the oil away from the oil pickup. oil light flashed on thn knock knock knock...... all the way home. sucks. Atleast it's not too bad for us cause they're not our daily drivers right? lol

yes that is very true. im not even upset really it just one of those things you expect to happen at some point when you drive your stuff hard cheers. the only thing that sucks is the weather is just getting nice. but oh well shit happens Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 7:49 am

Im there for ya buddy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.maecforum.com
04 Wagon Boy
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 10:28 am

I like your outlook on it Shawn! Your truck is gonna be siiiiick with that new setup...not that isn't already Wink
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 4:14 pm

well i got the motor pulled apart today. #2 rod was bent. so nothing to bad. but while its a part its getting built. wisco piston and callies compstar h beam rods , and maybe a custom grind cam. it will be a month or two before everything back together.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 5:40 pm

oh no! not a month or two..... lol

Just don't do what I did.... tear you're vehicle apart to fix it right..... and then three years later be pissed at yourself for still working on it. Rolling Eyes

By the way.... this thread is worthless without pics!!!! lol we want pics!!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 5:48 pm

Dr.Auto wrote:
oh no! not a month or two..... lol

Just don't do what I did.... tear you're vehicle apart to fix it right..... and then three years later be pissed at yourself for still working on it. Rolling Eyes

By the way.... this thread is worthless without pics!!!! lol we want pics!!!! Twisted Evil

i have picture i just need to upload them. ill get them on here. you cant see the bent rod for sure.
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 6:15 pm

heres some pictures. you can really see the bent rod. but look how nice the walls still looks nice cross hatchs still.
New motor in store for the SS. IMG_3254
New motor in store for the SS. IMG_3256
New motor in store for the SS. IMG_3251
New motor in store for the SS. IMG_3250
Back to top Go down
turbotudor
[GEAR HEAD]
[GEAR HEAD]
turbotudor

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 7:37 pm

could it be..... LSX time?
Back to top Go down
OUT4BLOOD
[NEWBIE]
[NEWBIE]
OUT4BLOOD

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 9:02 pm

Looks like you blew a head gasket and hydraulic locked that cylinder mite think about o-ringing the block to
Back to top Go down
ghost
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ghost

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 9:24 pm

yeah i agree after lookin at the photos looks like i was hydro locked to me also .

at any rate sorry bud that sucks , truck was sweet b4 it will be sick as hell with a stroker in it
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 1:30 am

OUT4BLOOD wrote:
Looks like you blew a head gasket and hydraulic locked that cylinder mite think about o-ringing the block to
no offense but dont think that be blew a head gasket, he didnt. you really dont need to oring a cast iron lq block till about 25 psi of boost.

btw shawn it was no1 (really doesnt matter still bent lol). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://sfrperformance.com
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 2:23 am

It wasnt a blowin head gasket for sure. it had no smoke or anything. i ran this motor for 15 minutes after the knock started. the motor was every clean inside. it back fired and then it started to knock. you can see on the bottom of the piston where it was hitting the crank just by a hair after it bent. ill put some more pictures tomorrow. ive lost a head gasket before on another vehicle and it smoked like no other with only driving it for one block. i drove my truck 5 mile after the knock and it ran just fine.
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 2:24 am

turbotudor wrote:
could it be..... LSX time?

no LSX in the budget for me. just building it up nice and strong Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ts4l
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ts4l

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 2:45 pm

Sorry to hear about the engine but it looks like you have a good idea which direction your going to go. If it wouldn't have been for my blown engine I would have never learned as much as i have about my car and ended up with a way overbuilt engine but its nice knowing you can do just about anything and it'll hold up. Keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 5:16 pm

ts4l wrote:
Sorry to hear about the engine but it looks like you have a good idea which direction your going to go. If it wouldn't have been for my blown engine I would have never learned as much as i have about my car and ended up with a way overbuilt engine but its nice knowing you can do just about anything and it'll hold up. Keep us updated.

ill keep you guys posted. im thinking it will be around 3k for everything. thats a pretty stout build also. forged everything with Arp top to bottom cheers
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 11:03 pm

Are those rods different?
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2010, 5:49 am

DoodieHead [ADMIN] wrote:
Are those rods different?

the rods are the same but they have two different side. i just had them flipped on opposite sides. good eye mikey. i already knew about it but i wanted to see who would notice before saying anything. Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
dirty
[FETUS]
[FETUS]
dirty

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2010, 11:25 am

shitty
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2010, 11:28 am

Well it looks like i might be building a 408 stroker. if all goes as planned. It will be nice to throw some boost (20 psi) to it and not have it come apart. next the tranny will let go then it will be time for a 80 affraid scratch
Back to top Go down
ghost
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ghost

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2010, 12:26 pm

408 dam son . cant wait to see that .
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2010, 4:21 pm

well i just bought a used motor for the SS with 30k miles on it. im going to back down the boost to 8 psi. just so i have a motor. so i can drive it while im building the 408. so the truck should be up and runing in a few weeks. Very Happy its nothing permanent just something to get me by. im already having withdrawals and it hasnt even been down for a week yet Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
ZipDriveX
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
ZipDriveX

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2010, 4:24 pm

Very nice!!! I'd love to have a motor to just build on the side to one day swap in....... aaaahhhhh....... Cool

Last edited by ZipDriveX on March 18th 2010, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/317696
turbotudor
[GEAR HEAD]
[GEAR HEAD]
turbotudor

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2010, 4:40 pm

i know the feeling of not rollin..... its only been about a week and im going nuckin futts.........
Back to top Go down
fastback959
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
fastback959

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2010, 8:34 pm

was that stock pistons and rods?
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2010, 9:04 pm

that they were. id say he got very luck not breaking one. they are powder metal rods
Back to top Go down
http://sfrperformance.com
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2010, 11:24 pm

fastback959 wrote:
was that stock pistons and rods?

yep. chris was right. but not the next build. i wish i would have built it the first time scratch I have learned alot about these LS motors sense my last rebuild. so im going with some H or I beam rods for sure. a forged crank and pistons. might do some head work also. noting to crazy Basketball
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2010, 9:26 am

Quote :
yep. chris was right. but not the next build. i wish i would have built it the first time scratch I have learned alot about these LS motors sense my last rebuild. so im going with some H or I beam rods for sure. a forged crank and pistons. might do some head work also. noting to crazy Basketball

Sounds crazy to me.
Back to top Go down
ghost
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ghost

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2010, 9:29 am

yes it does. with forged internals like that he can really throw sum boost to it
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2010, 2:09 pm

ghost wrote:
yes it does. with forged internals like that he can really throw sum boost to it

thats the plans but not on the street. i just want more boost for the track. i could go double what i was runing before but i dont want to get crazy. 23 pounds would be alot Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New motor in store for the SS.   New motor in store for the SS. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New motor in store for the SS.
Page 1 of 1