Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Give me some info about SCCA

Go down 
+6
ts4l
Cyfun
sxpkpower
turbotudor
SprockCapn
05judge
10 posters
AuthorMessage
05judge
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
05judge

Give me some info about SCCA Empty
PostSubject: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 10:36 am

I'm debating on adding some mods to my car that might help it run more as a track car rather than a drag car. With it having IRS (independant rear suspension) it handles very well. I'm debating on adding some lower rear gears and maybe upgrading the suspension some. I want to be able to hit the Drag Strip when I want, and make a stop light to stop light race or two, but I think I'd have more fun "driving" my car than straight lining it.
Having this blower now give me a lot of low end grunt and if I added diff gears, I'd have one hell of an off the line, or out of the corners car. Does the SCCA put on a lot of events in the area?
What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
SprockCapn
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
SprockCapn

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 10:49 am

05judge wrote:
I'm debating on adding some mods to my car that might help it run more as a track car rather than a drag car. With it having IRS (independant rear suspension) it handles very well. I'm debating on adding some lower rear gears and maybe upgrading the suspension some. I want to be able to hit the Drag Strip when I want, and make a stop light to stop light race or two, but I think I'd have more fun "driving" my car than straight lining it.
Having this blower now give me a lot of low end grunt and if I added diff gears, I'd have one hell of an off the line, or out of the corners car. Does the SCCA put on a lot of events in the area?
What are your thoughts?

Here is their website.

Looks like there are a lot out of town this year, but if you are up for the drive there is a bunch. I agree with you on actually "driving" your car being way more fun! It is fun to go to the drag strip once in awhile, but there is more to driving a car than a straight line.
Back to top Go down
turbotudor
[GEAR HEAD]
[GEAR HEAD]
turbotudor

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 11:01 am

[quote="SprockCapn"][quote="05judge"]I'm debating on adding some mods to my car that might help it run more as a track car rather than a drag car. With it having IRS (independant rear suspension) it handles very well. I'm debating on adding some lower rear gears and maybe upgrading the suspension some. I want to be able to hit the Drag Strip when I want, and make a stop light to stop light race or two, but I think I'd have more fun "driving" my car than straight lining it.
What are your thoughts?[/quote]

[url=http://www.yellowstonescca.com/]Here is their website. [/url]

Looks like there are a lot out of town this year, but if you are up for the drive there is a bunch. I agree with you on actually "driving" your car being way more fun! It is fun to go to the drag strip once in awhile, but there is more to driving a car than a straight line.[/quote]
sure there is, if a person wants to do it, but some people just want to dragrace. and building a car to hook, launch,go straight and do it all on a little tire is alittle more difficult than you think.
Back to top Go down
SprockCapn
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
SprockCapn

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 11:07 am

Quote :
Looks like there are a lot out of town this year, but if you are up for the drive there is a bunch. I agree with you on actually "driving" your car being way more fun! It is fun to go to the drag strip once in awhile, but there is more to driving a car than a straight line.

Quote :
sure there is, if a person wants to do it, but some people just want to dragrace. and building a car to hook, launch,go straight and do it all on a little tire is alittle more difficult than you think.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but...... First of all learn how to quote a message so we don't have to decode it every time we read something you posted! Second, Judge asked for info on SCCA this year! He didn't ask on your biased opinion on it! And we were agreeing that both of us like driving our cars around corners and shifting, that there is more to drag racing! That is great if you only like drag racing, more power to you, but there is more to life for the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
sxpkpower
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 12:33 pm

If you want to run the SCCA track which would fit your car the best you really should try to make one of the events in Helena. The new drivers education course is up there. It is the one which replaced the one in Lewistown for some of the government agencies. It has a large pad to set up a tight autocross on and then some roads shooting off of it which can give it a road course like feel depending on who set it up. The events put on by Great Falls tend to be more open with much more speed while the Bozeman club tends to like tight technical courses. The Billings club does not have many people that attend these, but I am tryin to change this. We need as many people from here as possible to show up for the Top Gun event. That event has a travelling trophy which goes to the club with the most points at this event. It would be nice if we could put in a good showing for this region for once.
Back to top Go down
05judge
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
05judge

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 1:36 pm

sxpkpower wrote:
If you want to run the SCCA track which would fit your car the best you really should try to make one of the events in Helena. The new drivers education course is up there. It is the one which replaced the one in Lewistown for some of the government agencies. It has a large pad to set up a tight autocross on and then some roads shooting off of it which can give it a road course like feel depending on who set it up. The events put on by Great Falls tend to be more open with much more speed while the Bozeman club tends to like tight technical courses. The Billings club does not have many people that attend these, but I am tryin to change this. We need as many people from here as possible to show up for the Top Gun event. That event has a travelling trophy which goes to the club with the most points at this event. It would be nice if we could put in a good showing for this region for once.

When and where is this TOP GUN event?
Back to top Go down
sxpkpower
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 1:41 pm

It is August 21st and 22nd in Helena
Back to top Go down
Cyfun
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 8:02 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about gears. Start with some shocks, strut tower brace, sway bars. Maybe some brakes, although I'm guessing you have some decent stock ones.

I wouldn't worry too much about lowering springs if you get some decent shocks. Your car is already fairly low, and getting lower will just make you catch your bumpers on curbs and driveways.

Don't know what your stock steering wheel is like, but smaller racing steering wheels are fun, especially the padded leather types. A decent 5 point racing harness with your stock seats might be a good idea. It can be tough to stay in your seat when doing some serious slaloming.

If you wanna do some serious autocross, then a spare set of wheels and slicks may be in order, mainly so you don't wear through your everyday rubber. Also, if you really wanna gear yourself lower, rather than doing an expensive rearend swap, just get some shorter tires.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/cyfun/
turbotudor
[GEAR HEAD]
[GEAR HEAD]
turbotudor

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 8:36 pm

[color=yellow]I'm not trying to be a jerk but...... First of all learn how to quote a message so we don't have to decode it every time we read something you posted! Second, Judge asked for info on SCCA this year! He didn't ask on your biased opinion on it! And we were agreeing that both of us like driving our cars around corners and shifting, that there is more to drag racing! That is great if you only like drag racing, more power to you, but there is more to life for the rest of us.[/quote][/color]

wow, jerkface. calml down shit, i didnt say anything bad, im all for some turnin action, why does it always feel like you take everything i say as apersonel attack? fuck dude, i wanted some imformation about the local scca too, but maybe i'll leave it to those that are holier than thou King
Back to top Go down
Cyfun
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 9:24 pm

Lol, stfu you guys. If I wanted drama, I'd talk to my cat.

But actually, Josh, something does need to be done about all the garbagy code and crap in your replies. Perhaps when you reply, make sure that the box to Enable BBcode is checked? I can't remember if that setting is in the posting screen or in the profile settings...

Okay, going back on topic in 4, 3, 2, 1...
Back to top Go down
turbotudor
[GEAR HEAD]
[GEAR HEAD]
turbotudor

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 10:14 pm

Cyfun wrote:
Lol, stfu you guys. If I wanted drama, I'd talk to my cat.

But actually, Josh, something does need to be done about all the garbagy code and crap in your replies. Perhaps when you reply, make sure that the box to Enable BBcode is checked? I can't remember if that setting is in the posting screen or in the profile settings...

Okay, going back on topic in 4, 3, 2, 1...

okay i checked the bbcode thinger in my profile..... King
Back to top Go down
ts4l
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ts4l

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 10:43 am

Much better, I'm not sure how it looked for you on your computer before but it was really hard to tell what part was quoted so I think myself and many others missed half of your response sometimes. That should help I wonder why you had to do that though and no one else did. I thought it was just my computer because It looks funny when a lot of people post video's and pictures. I figured it was because i had a Mac. Hum ya learn something new everyday.
Back to top Go down
SprockCapn
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
SprockCapn

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 10:57 am

turbotudor wrote:

Looks great. Sorry I was a dick about it. I was wrong in assuming it was your doing that messed it up. I'm sure if you look back you can understand why it was hard to read before though. Sorry Dude Smile
Back to top Go down
Cyfun
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 11:24 am

turbotudor wrote:

It's beautiful! affraid
Back to top Go down
turbotudor
[GEAR HEAD]
[GEAR HEAD]
turbotudor

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 11:41 am

i am by no means a computer guru, but i can usually get shit to work if i screw with it enough haha... so hows about some scca imput?
Back to top Go down
Cyfun
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 12:15 pm

Josh, I wanna see you out there racin that Malibu on a tiny SCCA track. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
turbotudor
[GEAR HEAD]
[GEAR HEAD]
turbotudor

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 12:18 pm

i will more than likely be there... King
Back to top Go down
05judge
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
05judge

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 1:51 pm

I definately want to try it. These GTO's are setup pretty well from the factory. There are some upgrades I could do to help, but I'm not even gonna consider them unless I get ate up with SCCA racing. I ordered some new rims and am gonna be able to put some bigger meat on my car so that will help with both road racing and 1/4 mile racing. I don't know how many local, or even MAEC members do this kind of racing, but I'd love to get together and go to an event sometime.
Back to top Go down
Cyfun
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 2:02 pm

I love circuit racing myself. Autocross is fun, but the tracks here are tiny, so you don't get up much speed, and the laps are very brief. In one whole day of racing, you might get a combined total of 6 minutes on the track. It's great for guys in gutted Golfs and Civics, but trying to make it through those tight courses in a long, wide, RWD car is a pain. Not to mention, there's no room to drift. Sad

That's why I can't wait til Lewistown. We'll get tons of track time, we'll have lots of cars on the track at once, and there are some great straight-aways and high-speed corners. Just make damn sure your brake pads and brake fluid are in good shape, first.
Back to top Go down
BlackedOut04
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
BlackedOut04

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 2:14 pm

There's no way a bunch of people are gonna be on the track at Lewistown, that is too big of a risk.
Back to top Go down
Cyfun
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 2:19 pm

I mean as opposed to just one at a time. When I've been there in the past, there were a couple of run groups, and each group had maybe 10 cars that'd all go out at once.
Back to top Go down
SprockCapn
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
SprockCapn

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 2:24 pm

Cyfun wrote:
I mean as opposed to just one at a time. When I've been there in the past, there were a couple of run groups, and each group had maybe 10 cars that'd all go out at once.

I could see this with maybe a small group of friends being ok because you most likely have respect for your friends and don't want to wreck their cars. But a bunch of random people out there is scary because you could get the guy that doesn't care who he hits or runs off the track as long as he wins! I'm more for the individual runs personally.
Back to top Go down
turbotudor
[GEAR HEAD]
[GEAR HEAD]
turbotudor

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 4:34 pm

me too
Back to top Go down
sxpkpower
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 10:38 pm

You can run anything on an scca course and have fun. I even ran my S10 with the mini spool in it. The mini spool made it push so bad you couldn't hardly turn without a blip of the throttle to slide the rear end around. Definitely wasn't in the running for top time of the day, but it was fun.

As far as modifying your car for autocross, I think the best thing anyone can do is to just show up and give it a try as their car sits. This will not only be a good way to see if you like it before you spend money, but it also gives you an idea of the types of modifications your car needs the most. A day of autocross will give you more insight into what your car needs than anything else. It also really helps to have some of the really good drivers ride ( such as Matt, Nels and whoever else is on here with experience) with you or give you rides to get their input as to driving technique and car setup.

As far as Lewistown is concerned I do not know how you guys run the event. I have been there many times with the Porsche and scca clubs and it is very easy to run multiple cars on the track at one time safely. It is always fun to see if you can follow someone around the course without being left behind. This can be done safely as long as guidelines are laid out ahead of time and followed. I am sure since you guys have had these before its already all worked out and we will have an extremely fun, safe day. The biggest problem with the other clubs is when someone has a problem telling the difference between trying to see if you can run the course as fast as another car and racing another car. It is a hell of a lot of fun to see if you can keep the distance between yourself and another car the same through all the different sections of the track. The problem arises when someone forgets to leave a cushion distance between the cars and starts to try and race them. We have had to tell people to either keep their distance or leave when I have been there with other groups.

I also have been in small run groups with drives I trust and it can be fun to run into the corner at the end of the backstretch at 130 with a group of good drivers in prepared cars, but that is not always something that can happen.

Wow, can you tell I have been up for way too long dealing and am in kind of a babbling mood. Sorry if this isn't all that coherent.
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 14th 2010, 10:47 pm

we ran multiple car last time when i went with out any problems. you have to remember this isnt a race. its not like your passing each other in the corners. the only passing was in the straight aways. if there was somebody that was faster than you just let them pass.
Back to top Go down
AZ93
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
AZ93

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 8:56 pm

jason i saw a gto on dupontregistry.com for 120 grand (a lil overpriced) but it had 970 rwhp.
Back to top Go down
ghost
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 9:37 pm

i got a problem ill be fast on the straights then piss ass slow in the turns . lol stock suspension fox bodys with tiny 9 inch rotors , and no sway bars ,

that and i havent raced on any track like lewistown b4 . so apologies in advance

i love to drag race and will never stop but takin turns is gonna be a trip on a track . cant wait jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Give me some info about SCCA   Give me some info about SCCA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Give me some info about SCCA
Page 1 of 1