Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Open source is getting popular

Go down 
+4
wrxxx
DoodieHead
SprockCapn
heeb101
8 posters
AuthorMessage
heeb101
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
heeb101

Open source is getting popular Empty
PostSubject: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2009, 1:40 pm

I just wanted to add the open source tuning is getting more popular and there isn't just one person that can do it. I can name five people that are setup to do it just here in Billings (myself included.) When

tuning a lot of things come into play: timing, A/F ratios, waste gate duty cycles, injector duty cycles, etc. Smoothing out a tune takes a lot of time and work because every car is different. I have been tuning on

my STi for months now and it is almost flawless. I had to switch from a local tune to a pro tune and I couldn't be happier. Mike re-mapped my timing and I have adjusted some minor tweaks when need be. I

am very happy how my STi is running it has plenty of power, low lag time, and gets descent gas mileage.
Back to top Go down
SprockCapn
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
SprockCapn

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2009, 7:33 pm

Just out of curiosity... Was your car running bad when you had wrecked it awhile ago? I saw your driving it down Montana Ave all taped off got paint and you got on it and your car just pumped out smoke. So hopefully that was just then. :-)
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2009, 8:16 pm

That was the COBB tune on there. COBB runs very rich. Now he has an XPT tune with my modified timing table. Seems to run well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.maecforum.com
SprockCapn
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
SprockCapn

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2009, 8:31 pm

Admin wrote:
That was the COBB tune on there. COBB runs very rich. Now he has an XPT tune with my modified timing table. Seems to run well.

Oh that would make sense.
Back to top Go down
wrxxx
[FETUS]
[FETUS]
wrxxx

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2009, 9:49 pm

I'm running a cobb and sometimes its not very smooth and i get poor mileage. What do i need and where do i get the stuff to do my own open source tuning.
Back to top Go down
RedMitsu
[GEAR HEAD]
[GEAR HEAD]
RedMitsu

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2009, 10:18 pm

I understand the point of this thread, but lets not make it sounds like tuning is easy.
Note: IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING DON'T TRY TUNING YOUR OWN CAR!
Please please please, I don't care that opensource tuning allows the average joe to tune his car, READ READ READ! If you don't know what you are doing, you WILL break shit. Your car WILL explode.
That is all, carry on.
Back to top Go down
SprockCapn
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
SprockCapn

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2009, 8:43 am

RedMitsu wrote:
I understand the point of this thread, but lets not make it sounds like tuning is easy.
Note: IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING DON'T TRY TUNING YOUR OWN CAR!
Please please please, I don't care that opensource tuning allows the average joe to tune his car, READ READ READ! If you don't know what you are doing, you WILL break shit. Your car WILL explode.
That is all, carry on.

True story. I agree 100%!
Back to top Go down
ts4l
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ts4l

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2009, 12:51 pm

I also agree, I can't believe the number of people tinkering around with these type of softwares. Tuning isn't something you just take a stab at and hope it all works out. Even with years of tuning you will never probably 100% understand the effects small changes make. There is way more to know about tuning that duty cycles and things like wastegate duty cycles are not tuning the engine. You should tune the engine then make changes to the duty cycle on the wastegate to make boost changes then check them and see if the engine tune still needs a tweak.

You really need to understand also the VE of your engine, and tuning will be totally different depending on if you car is NA, turbocharged or supercharged. You also need to understand if your engine is knock limited or not. The best and only way I really recommend tuning in on a dyno tuning for MBT. If you don't know what MBT is you probably shouldn't be "tuning" anything more than a lawn mower! I'm not saying its not up to everyone to decide if they want to try but before you ever even look at these software programs you need to do a lot of research, if anyone wants to learn more about tuning the EFI101 website is a great place to start and their classes are a gret next step. I'm just saying just because someone has the software and knows how to make changes doesn't make then a tuner or know how to properly tune. Tuning is an art that takes a lot of time and knowledge to understand.

Most current Subaru engines since that's what most people on here are tuning are knock limited if using pump gas, and timing is VERY important on these cars and an improper tune will lead to piston damage(ring land cracks) very quickly and often without you knowing right away. WRX's also have weak rods that don't appreciate a good knock event. How are most of you who are tuning monitoring knock? Do you have Det cans? Or any knock monitoring device?
Back to top Go down
wrxxx
[FETUS]
[FETUS]
wrxxx

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2009, 4:48 pm

thanks for the warnings guys but does anyone have an answer for my question.
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2009, 6:47 pm

Romraider used the subaru knock sensor by sending a signal of [+/- 6] showing knock.

Go to openecu.org and you will find all the information you need. The only programs you will be are Romraider and ECU Flash. There are a few other programs you can use, but are not necessary for tuning (learning view is one of those). You will also need a tactrix cable for flashing the ECU.
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2009, 6:53 pm

I also just wanted to state tuning is a never ending bitch. I would really not recommend doing anything major unless you have secondary means of transportation. I am farily new to the whole Romraider thing (3 months or so) and I can tell you there are so many different settings in there is is unbelievable. I am more of an Autronic ECU GURU myself having about 5 years of tuning experience.
Back to top Go down
wrxxx
[FETUS]
[FETUS]
wrxxx

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2009, 7:12 pm

Thanks mike, i might not get too deep into tuning, ive always wanted to but even if i dont tune myself i can still get protunes through open source and sell the damn cobb.
Back to top Go down
SprockCapn
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
SprockCapn

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2009, 11:27 pm

I vote people go to a professional tuner like Paul did with his STI. It seems to run way smooth and he got it tuned and is done with it. No more messin with stuff :-)
Also Bone's old evo was a pro tune and Jason's 240 also. It also seems to pretty sketchy to me to try and drive your car and tune it.... Never will be as consistant as a tune while on the dyno. Just my opinion, but a pro dyno tune seems like the best choice.
Back to top Go down
subysportsti
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
subysportsti

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2010, 6:12 pm

opensource in my opinion is too limited to be useful...maybe if you leave your car near stage 2 but for the rest of us with heavy feet and deep pockets lol standalone is the only answer.
Back to top Go down
haproot
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2010, 8:17 pm

I know alot of protuners will use opensource with no issues. It's all in the map. I've seen E85 tuned monsters running reliably off an 04 wrx ecu. All via opensource. I think whatever is used should be whatever the tuner is most comfortable with, or feels is appropriate. I think one of the worse things I'm seeing is people buying the cobb tuners, loading a map and off they go. No log, no verifying, no nothing. This isn't true of everybody who uses a cobb of course, I just feel it's a little too easy to screw it up. Especially if you don't strictly adhere to their modification list for a given map, ie: adding an intake , exhaust manifolds, turbo inlets, etc.. all that changes, VE, fueling and sensor calibrations considerably. Logging/Verifying safety has been a major theme of the opensource community since day one.

Dealing with an oem ecu, If you have a sloppy tuner who say misses a compensation table or two in their maps, especially when moving from say an 05 ecu to an 07, (which the logic can be quite different between years) poof bye bye engine as soon as certain conditions are met. The stock ecu in our Subaru's is actually pretty darned paranoid about knock/detonation, not that I would trust it fully if I were pushing the car hard, but that logic in itself can be broken as well, however, it will detect knock before anybody could even hear it. It will also detect rattling heatshields!

I do agree that before people just start playing with values in their maps they should stop and research it ALOT. Even ask a professional tuner for a good base map to work with, maybe bounce some questions off them. There is always something new to learn, and also a LOT of misinformation going around. If something happens to someones engine, well let it be a learning experience, I think the term "pay to play" comes to mind. If you want to tinker, be ready to pay the price of a new engine/rebuild.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Open source is getting popular   Open source is getting popular Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Open source is getting popular
Page 1 of 1