Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!

Go down 
+4
shawnss
ZipDriveX
ts4l
zinda1
8 posters
AuthorMessage
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Empty
PostSubject: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2011, 3:56 pm

Here is the project I have been working on pretty much straight for the last month and a half. It is a 1986 Suzuki Samurai I got for free from my dad. It needed some TLC but the good thing was there is a 100% lack of rust on it! So here is a slideshow of the progression of the vehicle over the last month or so. I am about 90% done with it. Basically all I have left to do is paint the underside and fabricate some custom bumpers. Very Happy

Update: Here is a new slideshow of the progression of this project from beginning to end!

Last edited by zinda1 on October 3rd 2011, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ts4l
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
ts4l

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2011, 4:38 pm

Looks like you've been busy. Good work looks good.
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2011, 4:41 pm

Yeah I have been bustin' my ass every day after work and some on the weekends as well. Good thing I work 4-10's otherwise there would be no way I could get this done in a relatively short amoutn of time. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ZipDriveX
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
ZipDriveX

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2011, 5:08 pm

Bout time you post up about that thing on here!! Been watching its progress on BSS, love it!! bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/317696
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2011, 8:56 pm

looks sweet fella. it looks way different already. looks like a fun project.
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2011, 7:07 am

ZipDriveX wrote:
Bout time you post up about that thing on here!! Been watching its progress on BSS, love it!! bounce

Hahaha....yeah I just figured out how to make a slideshow on photobucket so I thought I had better share this with the MAEC boys as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
b1r - TS
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
b1r - TS

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2011, 11:57 am

That's awesome. Would be a fun little 4wd project and then fun to take it out in the snow and mountains this year!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamsprock.com
xpoisonfreex
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
xpoisonfreex

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2011, 1:20 pm

loven the camo!
Back to top Go down
ProOnThaSnow
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
ProOnThaSnow

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2011, 2:56 pm

Awesome! I miss my old Samurai and my Brother's as well. As fun as they are, they're underpowered though! Find yourself a 1.6 to drop in there!

Any plans to put a springover under it or are you going to leave it on just the shackles?
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2011, 4:14 pm

ProOnThaSnow wrote:
Awesome! I miss my old Samurai and my Brother's as well. As fun as they are, they're underpowered though! Find yourself a 1.6 to drop in there!

Any plans to put a springover under it or are you going to leave it on just the shackles?

For now I am just going to use the 2" body lift I put in and the extended shackles. Once you go SPOA with it you have to get extended brake lines, driveline spacers and some sort of steering correction. Actually as far as a powerplant goes, I am looking for a VW turbo diesel to put in it. It has to be the mechanical ones from between 1981-1987, 88. There is a couple of companies that make adapter kits for the samurai so it fits right in and mates up to the existing transmission with an adapter plate. If anyone knows where to find one of those turbo diesels that would be sweet. I am probably going to have to wait until next year to do it but if I could at least source one that would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Cyfun
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2011, 4:26 pm

Yikes, did those old VW TD's have any power, either? Might see if Hanser's could find one, or perhaps one of the JDM importing companies that happens to carry some German shit.

How about one of these instead?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines#2.5R5TDI

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/cyfun/
ProOnThaSnow
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
ProOnThaSnow

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2011, 1:30 am

When we SPOA'd ours, I dont recall running driveline spacers and we never had any issues while wheeling. We did run the extended front brake lines, but if I remember correctly we found some at O'Riellys off a cavalier that worked perfectly. I believe a drop pitman arm was right around $30 or so.

I always wanted to do the VW conversion, but by some wierd act of god, I actually took the transfer case out of mine and ended up getting an offer I couldn't refuse for it while it was sitting waiting for me to buy case. My bro ended up selling his Sammi on Ebay and made out like a bandit from what I recall.

Anyways, I'd love to build another, but an engine swap would be a necessity. The little 1.3's are good runners, just way under powered once you put some decent sized tires under them.
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2011, 10:28 am

Cyfun wrote:
Yikes, did those old VW TD's have any power, either? Might see if Hanser's could find one, or perhaps one of the JDM importing companies that happens to carry some German shit.

How about one of these instead?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines#2.5R5TDI

Very Happy

The reason for the older turbo diesel is because it is basically the same dimensions as the existing engine and it mates right up to the tranny with a simple adapter plate. Yeah they don't have hella balls but the Samurai weights like nothing so it doesn't take much more power to make a big difference. There are dudes running the old VW turbo diesels in their Samurai's with 33" inch tires that are getting 40mpg's! Also the current engine that is in it is carbed with no ECU so going with a mechanical diesel keeps things simple.
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2011, 10:29 am

ProOnThaSnow wrote:
When we SPOA'd ours, I dont recall running driveline spacers and we never had any issues while wheeling. We did run the extended front brake lines, but if I remember correctly we found some at O'Riellys off a cavalier that worked perfectly. I believe a drop pitman arm was right around $30 or so.

I always wanted to do the VW conversion, but by some wierd act of god, I actually took the transfer case out of mine and ended up getting an offer I couldn't refuse for it while it was sitting waiting for me to buy case. My bro ended up selling his Sammi on Ebay and made out like a bandit from what I recall.

Anyways, I'd love to build another, but an engine swap would be a necessity. The little 1.3's are good runners, just way under powered once you put some decent sized tires under them.

For now I am done lifting it. I am sure in a few more months or next year I will want it higher and will look into going SPOA.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2011, 1:30 pm

Here is what she looks like now. Almost complete. Just need to find the time to fabricate some bumpers then I'm ballin'

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0246

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0247
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 12:04 pm

Got the rear bumper done and mounted. Now for the front bumper. Pretty much the last thing left on this...woot!

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0258

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0259

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0260

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0261

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0262

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0263

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0264
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2011, 9:38 am

Gettin' the front bumper fabbed up. Hopefully this week I can be done! I still have the bumper beams to get done and the blinker housing to plas out. There are also some off-road lights I am putting in the middle of the bull bar.

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0270

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0271

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0272
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2011, 10:55 am

nice job. lookin good. that bumper is a beast. should be a fun lil ride when its all done.
Back to top Go down
Cyfun
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2011, 11:24 am

Epic bumper. Gonna mount some old tire tread on there, tow truck style?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/cyfun/
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2011, 11:51 am

Cyfun wrote:
Epic bumper. Gonna mount some old tire tread on there, tow truck style?

Hahaha...fo sho! No these were my test-fitting pictures to make sure everything was level and the brackets worked out. Once the bumper beams and off-road lights are on and it is painted it should look a little more in proportion. lol
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2011, 9:48 am

Wooooot! Finally done! Got my front bumper fabbed and mounted this weekend.

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0273

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0274

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0276

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0277

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0278

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0280

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0281

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0282

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0283
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2011, 3:05 pm

See the first post for an updated slideshow of the completed project!
Back to top Go down
ZipDriveX
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
ZipDriveX

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2011, 3:41 pm

That bumper/grille guard turned out awesome Scott!!! Great job! Love the Nurple!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/317696
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2011, 9:54 pm

heck yeah looks freaking sweet. i like it. are you all done or just for now? i say a SBC would make it do mad wheelies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2011, 9:28 am

shawnss wrote:
heck yeah looks freaking sweet. i like it. are you all done or just for now? i say a SBC would make it do mad wheelies Very Happy

Yeah I am pretty much done for now. I sure I will continue doing more suspension work once winter is over. I would like to put a 4 link coil suspension under it but that is something for next year or something. Smile
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2011, 3:23 pm

All finished up! cheers afro

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0076

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0287

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! IMG_0285
Back to top Go down
shawnss
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
shawnss

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2011, 6:04 pm

heck yeah. looks sweet scott. what did the father in law say about it? he is the one who gave it to you right?
Back to top Go down
zinda1
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
zinda1

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2011, 11:48 am

shawnss wrote:
heck yeah. looks sweet scott. what did the father in law say about it? he is the one who gave it to you right?

No my dad gave it to me. He hasnt' seen it yet. He is gonna shit when he does though...in a good way! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!   Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Updated! The Purple Nurple is complete!
Page 1 of 1