Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

December 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Pads don't fit; don't know what will

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ronin
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]

Pads don't fit; don't know what will Empty
PostSubject: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2010, 10:37 pm

Car: 05 Saabaru Linear (non turbo). The Linear has the same suspension and brakes as the turbo model. Imagine a WRX with an RS engine. Or an RS in wagon form.

I bought EBC Ultimax brake pads for both front and rear. They are supposed to fit, but do not. The fronts fit Subaru WRX 02 and up; forester 03 and up; 02 2.5 RS/TS). Rears say WRX 03 and up. Saab 92-x, Linear, brake parts cross reference to these pads. Ultimax UD929, and UD1004.

The pads are too fat (the pistons were retracted to the max). And they do not cover as much rotor as do the stock pads.

I queried EBC. They asked for pics of the brakes, and of their pads compared to stock pads. I supplied the pics. Since then, silence.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Should I just sell these pads to someone with a WRX, and buy pads from a dealer? I don't much like the stock pads. They last longer, but do not stop as well as EBC pads.
Back to top Go down
fastback959
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
fastback959

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2010, 11:02 pm

do you still have the factory rotors on the car?
Back to top Go down
Ronin
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2010, 11:27 pm

Yes. They are in good condition. In fact, the original pads are not yet in need of replacing. The pedal goes too far down, and I thought it was the pads, but it's not. There is no shudder when braking on a long downhill. The stock pads have worn exceptionally even.
Back to top Go down
Ronin
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2010, 11:33 pm

fastback 959: let me stress that it's a SAABaru. Saab picked and choose parts from a variety of Subaru platforms. Some of the suspension parts, for example, are STi parts. I have a vastly modified WRX, and I was shocked at how well the Saabaru drives. Much better than a stock WRX. All of which means that there is no telling what brake parts were selected by Saab. For sure, they are 100% Subaru parts, but from which Subaru is another question. It could be that the rotors are thicker than are stock rotors for the WRX or Forester, for example, even though the calipers are the same. I don't know if that 's even possible, but something is sure not right . . .
Back to top Go down
fastback959
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
fastback959

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2010, 9:56 am

i work for subaru and i know that the wrx rotor is thicker then the na subarus and the pads are different they look the same but are not , i guess i would jest need to look at it, kinda hard to diag a problem over the interweb . soundes like a very easy fix but what do i know

davey johnson at dana motors is the saab man!!
Back to top Go down
Ronin
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2010, 10:17 am

Do you know if the STi rotors are thicker than the WRX rotors? Also, is Dana Motors in Billings? Karl Tyler in Missoula doesn't know beans.
Back to top Go down
fastback959
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
fastback959

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2010, 10:20 am

sti rotors are way thicker then the wrx. yea dana is in billings
Back to top Go down
Ronin
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2010, 10:29 am

Thanks, man. I suspect that the rotors are STi rotors, and the calipers are WRX. That would explain why the stock pads are thinner. I mean, they are worn, but you can tell that they were not nearly as thick as the EBC pads to begin with. I reckon they wanted to keep 16" wheels, and didn't want to shell out the bucks for Brembo calipers (who does?).

FYI: my WRX is running 07 WRX 4-pot calipers with Hawk pads and aftermarket rotors. 11 panic stops from 75 and zero fade or bind (my eyeballs couldn't take anymore). The rotors were hot, but not so you could see. I also put on steel braided lines which improved pedal feel about 200%. I'm betting that for all practical purposes, these brakes stop as well as do Brembos--and cost a ton less.
Back to top Go down
fastback959
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
fastback959

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2010, 10:42 am

nice set up on brakes.

fyi the 05 and up sti rotors will have a different bolt pattern then all of the wrx subarus, the only sti rotor that will fit on the wrx car would be a 2004 sit.

2004 STI - 5x100
2005 + STi - 5x114.3
Back to top Go down
Ronin
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2010, 11:17 pm

The part number for the rotors on the 92-X is different than the part number on the same year of WRX. It is also different than the part number for the STi rotors. In Missoula, I went to several first-rate shops that deal with foreign cars, but the parts departments could tell me only that the parts were Subaru. No one was able to figure out exactly WHICH Subaru the 92-X rotors belong to--or even if there is any difference between the 92-x rotors and the WRX rotors.

CarCraft called up what they have listed for the 92-X, and the brake pads they came up with look different than the brake pads from EBC. The CarCraft pads look like the stock pads.

So now I am stuck with brake pads, front and rear, that belong on a Subaru. But exactly WHICH Subaru, I have no idea. I suspect an 02-03 WRX. Next time in Missoula, I will take the pads to the dealership and compare them to OEM 02 WRX pads. Damn. What a can of worms . . . .
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 3:39 am

Post a picture of the pads. The difference between an STI and WRX pad is very easy to see.

http://www.maecforum.com
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 3:41 am

Pads don't fit; don't know what will !BbvgqhwBWk~$(KGrHqYOKi4Eq5gv,n)qBK),-9LZUQ~~_35

Here is a pic of an STI pad. Notice the corners of the pad has a hole, that is where the pin goes through to hold the pad in place.

DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 3:43 am

Pads don't fit; don't know what will 311f_35

Here is a pic of a WRX/2.5RS brake pad. They are slightly curved and have no mounting holes.

Ronin
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2010, 11:56 am

Yes. The pads are definitely not STi pads. The new pads, the ones that do not fit, look like the WRX/RS pads. But the pads that are on the 92-X look slightly different. As I said, the part number for the rotors on the SAAB are different than the part number for the rotors on the WRX/RS. They are both Subaru rotors, however.

I can't find anything that shows the thickness of the rotors (between the two part numbers). It's very difficult to see what the stock pads might have looked like when they were new because they are worn. But the pads at CarCraft looked a lot more like what is on the car, than do the WRX/RS pads. The CarCraft pads, however, did not have the center cut, and they were not beveled on the sides. It's hard to see in the photo of the WRX pads, but they are beveled (as are the new ones from EBC).

I don't know. Maybe I'm doing something wrong when I put them on. But they clip into the calipers like they should, and the pistons on the calipers are as flush as I can make them (I took the calipers off and used an air compressor to work the pistons back and forth, and then used a board to make sure they were as compressed as possible).
Back to top Go down
fastback959
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
fastback959

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 9:29 pm

do you have both bolt sliders out?
Back to top Go down
Ronin
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 11:10 am

What are bolt sliders?
Back to top Go down
fastback959
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
fastback959

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 11:42 am

the two long bolts that bolt your calipers on. thay slide in and out and have grease on them. i have had more then one caliper not fit back on due to air getting in the holes and then causing the air to be traped in it . when this happened the combination of the traped air and the grease i could not get the caliper back on. i know this sound crazy but like i said it has happened to me more then once and i work on subarus all day long 5 days a week.
Back to top Go down
fastback959
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
fastback959

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 4:17 pm

they are called brake slide pins
Back to top Go down
stimutacks
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
stimutacks

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2010, 7:26 pm

Hey thats what my civic uses.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/504536672
Ronin
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2010, 11:27 pm

Update: the problem is the EBC pads on a SAAB 92-X. They work fine on a WRX but not on a SAABaru. Other people have had the same problem, and have taken off the metal plates to make them fit. Apparently stock pads and Monroe pads fit fine.
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 8:45 am

Good stuff. Let us know if the removal of the metal plates works.

stimutacks
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
stimutacks

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitimeJune 18th 2010, 9:52 pm

What's up with Saab and Subaru? Something about Auto History I don't know?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/504536672
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pads don't fit; don't know what will   Pads don't fit; don't know what will Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pads don't fit; don't know what will
Page 1 of 1