Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Wyotech....hmm i think so

Go down 
+6
sxpkpower
Snakebite420
Novaflash2002
Dr.Auto
Jfive
WarWagon
10 posters
AuthorMessage
WarWagon
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
WarWagon

Wyotech....hmm i think so Empty
PostSubject: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 2:02 pm

i think ive decided that since i have all these new benefits from get deployed, one of which is even better college benefits i think i will go to Wyotech when i get home.....did anyone on here go there for school?
Back to top Go down
Jfive
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
Jfive

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 2:48 pm

Got a friend that did, and hasn't used it. He did the engine builders course I believe, but I'll check and see.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 3:02 pm

It was one of my options when I was looking for a school. Good school. But due to a few different reasons including being a Montana resident I went to MSU-N instead. Its a good school too.
Back to top Go down
Jfive
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
Jfive

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 5:27 pm

I'd go to northern personally. They have a better track record. My friend couldn't get a job after going to wyotech, and that was before the economy tanked. I'll get more info on why, but I believe its cause they do more of one topic learning, rather than s more rounded degree. When I looked into it, UTI or northern where the ones that people get hired after going to. Not that you couldn't get hired out of wyotech, but it doesn't have as good of a track record as other schools. Guy I know that went to northern was able to work anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 5:51 pm

wyo-tech has went down hill in the past 10 years, was enrolled to go in 2005 and decided against it. There are still some great instructors there, but there are also some not so good ones according to my buddys that go there now. UTI is decant, and if you want to build engines, S.A.M is 2nd to none. Erik Koeing is prolly one if not the best machinist's out there, and is the head instructor.
Back to top Go down
http://sfrperformance.com
WarWagon
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
WarWagon

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 9:33 pm

well as for getting a job ive some good ties with the stillwater mine and so thats pretty much a done deal but i can make more money as a mechanic rather than starting out as a muck haul driver.ive always wanted to go to wyotech but my biggest issue is im not sure if they have housing from married students that have kids. And chris im not sure what S.A.M. is can you go into a little more detail on that. and is MSU northern in havre. thanks for the info fellas
Back to top Go down
Snakebite420
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
Snakebite420

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 10:04 pm

Ive heard nothing but bad things from wyotech from people who have gone there, they told me it was great before they went, and they either dropped out and went to northern or finished and said it was a waste of money.
Back to top Go down
Jfive
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
Jfive

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 10:09 pm

Northern is in havre. It has one of the best diesel programs in the country, and a great gas program too. Know a few that have went there, and none felt they were getting a second grade education like those that go to wyotech.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2011, 8:03 am

Jfive wrote:
Northern is in havre. It has one of the best diesel programs in the country, and a great gas program too. Know a few that have went there, and none felt they were getting a second grade education like those that go to wyotech.

If diesel is what you're going for..... MSU-N is hands down the best school to go to. The Diesel program there is awesome.... Had a few friends going through it when I was there 98-00. One friend worked for CAT here in Billings forever and now is with the mine. The automotive program teaches you everything..... the main reason I wanted to go to Wyotech at that time was the hot rod side of things more taylored for my hobbies. But I've never been jobless..... ever. When ever I thought it was time to change a job i just go somewhere and say.... its time for a change. I'm looking for a job this is what I'd like to get paid.... and..... two weeks later I'm there.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2011, 5:09 pm

Also... don't overlook the COT. It has improoved quite a bit from what I understand.

Check with sxpkpower here on MAEC..... he is an instructor there.

One of my instructors from MSU-N is down here at the COT also along with two of my class mates I went to school with are instructors there now
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2011, 5:54 pm

Sam is ... school of automotive machinist's.
Back to top Go down
Jfive
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
Jfive

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2011, 8:55 pm

Novaflash2002 wrote:
Sam is ... school of automotive machinist's.
I have heard of good things on this school. Isn't it in the middle of the us, Guess I could have googled it to find out, probubly will.
Back to top Go down
WarWagon
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
WarWagon

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2011, 8:22 am

well the thing is i wanted to go to an automotive school where i didnt have to take english or math or anything like that just stuff that deal with building and fixing car and trucks.....is MSU-N like that or are the just automotive based classes. and yes i was looking to wyotech due to the hot rod fab and high performance engines classes
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2011, 11:46 am

I don't know that you can go to any school with out taking those classes.

I personally believe by experiance that if you go to a school and learn the basics really good.... most of it applys to high performance applications also. Nothing you can't figure out on your own after you have a good starting point. Of course a machinining class as an elective, and pay attention in advanced drivability/diagnostics class. You'd be surprised what you can apply to tuning a car from knowing how to diagnose a problem with a scan tool looking at the data list and knowing what the general figures of sensors and fuel trims are supposed to be.
Back to top Go down
Jfive
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
Jfive

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2011, 12:12 pm

The first guy I know that went to MSU N built alot of high performance motors, and they all ran really good. He was able to get a job anywhere in town, for a good hrly rate, and usally worked at a dealership, and had access to there tools and stuff. One thing my wifes cousin said was cool about northern, is you can take this class where you make biodiesel for chemistry. They do build high performance stuff at northern, too. I went there in highschool for auto compotition, and the gas kids built a 305 chevy to the nuts, just to blow it, up. I am all for learning how to make hp, but wyotech won't tell you anything more than what you will learn at northern, and shops won't hire you for going there. In the end, this decision is all yours, but do some research on this first. Just look up peoples opinions on wyotech.
Back to top Go down
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2011, 12:13 pm

U only have to take those classes if you want a applied science degree. U just get a certificate if u don't take the 4 core classes
Back to top Go down
sxpkpower
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2011, 12:49 pm

Novaflash2002 wrote:
U only have to take those classes if you want a applied science degree. U just get a certificate if u don't take the 4 core classes

That is no longer true in Montana. If you are an acredited program in this state you have to take certain core classes.

Here is a link to our certificate program at MSU Billings COT

http://www.msubillings.edu/cot/Programs/POS/CompTechTransport/AutoTechnologyCert.htm

Here is a link to our AAS degree

http://www.msubillings.edu/cot/Programs/POS/CompTechTransport/AutoTechnologyAAS.htm

The nice thing about going to school at the College of Technology is how nicely our credits transfer to Havre if you decide to pursue the four year degree.

If you would like to check out our program you can contact me when you get home. I can give a tour of the facility and give you the highlights of our program.
Back to top Go down
WarWagon
[ENTHUSIAST]
[ENTHUSIAST]
WarWagon

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2011, 3:23 pm

sxpkpower wrote:
Novaflash2002 wrote:

That is no longer true in Montana. If you are an acredited program in this state you have to take certain core classes.

Here is a link to our certificate program at MSU Billings COT

http://www.msubillings.edu/cot/Programs/POS/CompTechTransport/AutoTechnologyCert.htm

Here is a link to our AAS degree

http://www.msubillings.edu/cot/Programs/POS/CompTechTransport/AutoTechnologyAAS.htm

The nice thing about going to school at the College of Technology is how nicely our credits transfer to Havre if you decide to pursue the four year degree.

If you would like to check out our program you can contact me when you get home. I can give a tour of the facility and give you the highlights of our program.

i was enrolled at COT for a semester in the automotive tech classes but my wife got pregnant and then i found out about my deployment so naturally i want to spend as much time with them as i could before i left since there is always that risk of not coming home.....so needless to say my grades dropped and i quit going but with being deployed i have a new outlook on life and i feel i am mentally ready for school now and more focused.i just want to give my family the life they deserve
Back to top Go down
Dr.Auto
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Dr.Auto

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2011, 3:26 pm

took you long enough to chime in Randy..... lol. How does your AAS program compare to Nothern at this time? I'm sure things have changed since I graduated 11years ago. lol

Jfive wrote:
They do build high performance stuff at northern, too. I went there in highschool for auto compotition, and the gas kids built a 305 chevy to the nuts, just to blow it, up.

Ahh yes! I remember that well. The cages with the diesel and gasoline engine blow up contest. You know the engine is built well when they finally have to kill the engines with the water hose and spray it into the intakes. lol
Back to top Go down
sxpkpower
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2011, 3:44 pm

Dr.Auto wrote:

took you long enough to chime in Randy..... lol. How does your AAS program compare to Nothern at this time? I'm sure things have changed since I graduated 11years ago. lol

The programs are very similar. I think there may be a few credits that are different, but there have been a few of our students who have decided to get the four year degree and have had no trouble transferring. Our program is a lot like Havre due to the fact that a former Northern instructor designed our current courses. The school has been updated with a lot of new technology since he took over the program.
Back to top Go down
b1r - TS
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
b1r - TS

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2011, 4:16 pm

WarWagon wrote:
well the thing is i wanted to go to an automotive school where i didnt have to take english or math or anything like that just stuff that deal with building and fixing car and trucks.....is MSU-N like that or are the just automotive based classes. and yes i was looking to wyotech due to the hot rod fab and high performance engines classes

Just my two cents....

If you are going to pay money and go to school, make sure you get a good well rounded education. Typically the lowest paying jobs are the one where you only do one task over and over again (anyone can learn a single task if they put enough time into it), so make yourself as versitile as possiable. Know how to work on cars, know a little bit about buisness managment, know about customer realtions etc.

If you just want to work on cars and don't want the well rounded education, just get a job and let them give you first hand training. Atleast this method will allow you to learn exactly what your employeer believes is importantant.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamsprock.com
f20bmt
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
f20bmt

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2011, 9:03 pm

+1
Back to top Go down
Liv4accelor8ion
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
Liv4accelor8ion

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2011, 3:35 am

I went to Wyotech in 2003 and graduated in 2004. I took diesel, advanced diesel, and shop management (basically just business). I got an Associates degree in applied sciences of advanced diesel technology and business management. I did not have to take any classes related to english or math, and never had homework. Everything was done in school. The only time I had to do work outside of school was when I was studying for my HVAC certification- which I passed with flying colors and got universal certification. And the only math I had to do was in business (accounting).

At the time there were only two campus's, Blairsville and Laramie. Naturally I chose the Laramie campus since it was closer. But now they have a ton of campus's and offer way more a variety of courses. When I went they only were teaching Diesel, Automotive, and Collison & Refinishing. And after you finished your six month core classes you could choose a number of 3 month elective classes.

As far as housing, they do offer a number of options for you. While I was there I worked for the school as a residental assistant. They also offer day and night classes so you can choose which you would like to take if you need to obtain a job to help support yourself.

I enjoyed going there and I did learn a ton. However if I had known then what I know now, I might have reconsidered my options. First, it is expensive. Second, they are very strict, almost just like you are in the military (so it would be an easy transition for you). I had numorous friends and classmates that had served and they felt that it was almost worse. You have to wear a uniform, from your clothes to your personal appearance. You're hair has to conform to the natural shape of your head, has to be your natural hair color and can not touch your collar. Sideburns can not be lower then your ear, you have to be 100% clean shaven everyday althought you can have a mustache (this part I hated the worst and swore I would never shave again once I graduated, and here I am now working for a company that makes us shave every day. Go figure)

They hold class just as if you were on the job. If you take day classes, you start at 7:30 and go until 4. You can not be late or you get marked for it. After so many tardies you get suspended for 3 months, and you have to retake the course. After so many days missed you are expelled and you have to submit a request to be re-admitted and have to go before the board
Back to top Go down
Liv4accelor8ion
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
Liv4accelor8ion

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2011, 3:58 am

Teacher to student ratio wasnt what the recruiter preached and at times it was frustrating but there was plenty of times when you could get extra help.

If you can I would recommend going and taking a tour of the campus, dont rely on what any recruiter tells you. Although I liked my recruiter, he was pretty kick ass, and hooked me up with a ton of free shit.

Having Wyotech on your resume actually is a big plus for employers and I personally have talked to numorous companies that say they like when they see it. It doesnt give you an automatic in but its a good thing.

They hold carrier fairs all the time and bring in big name companies and alot of them. Alot of people get hired right out of school or even before they graduate, not to mention the contacts that you can obtain via them. I got hired before I graduated.

A few of the nice things about them that I found can be useful. Once you take and pass a course, you can retake that course whenever you like for the rest of your life at no charge. So as the industry changes you can keep on top of it. I have yet done so or desired to retake my courses, but its nice to know I can. Also say I wanted to learn chassi fab. Since I graduated and passed the core six month course, I can go back when ever I feel like and take just that class. Granted I would have to pay for it since I didnt originally enroll but I dont have to take any other course before I can.

When you graduate, they complile your resume for you and give you something like 100 copies and will mail them out for you. Then once you are an alumni, you can call them up at any point in your life and they will update your resume for you and give you x number of copies and again even mail them out for you, but I believe at that point you have to pay a small fee to have them mail.

So all in all I enjoyed my experience even though it had its up and downs and dont regret going. I learned a ton and was out of there and into work in a short time. Would I do it again, probably not, and I sure as hell wouldnt go to the Laramie campus. Do as much research as you can, visit a campus, and check out your options. Im sure things have changed a ton since I had gone, I know they offer way more courses and they are actually owned and run by Corinthian Colleges. They were just getting into taking over and switching some stuff around the last couple months that I attended. If you have any other questions feel free to hit me up
Back to top Go down
4drtegra
[FETUS]
[FETUS]
4drtegra

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitimeApril 6th 2011, 4:56 am

I went to WyoTech in Laramie myself graduated '02. Auto tech+chassis fab/hi per engine + management. It was a quick 1 year. I got an associates degree out of it. Nobody can take that from me!! it was expensive though, i am sure it is more now, but so goes the world. great school, i learned alot and it was fun! not sure how it is now, yet maybe i will go back for the refresher courses for free!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wyotech....hmm i think so   Wyotech....hmm i think so Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wyotech....hmm i think so
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club :: 'The Coffee Shoppe' :: Open Discussion-
Jump to: