Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
    don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

May 2024
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    CalendarCalendar

don't know jack about jacks

Go down 
    +5
    shawnss
    billythekid
    ZipDriveX
    gtolzien
    brnin8r
    9 posters
    AuthorMessage
    brnin8r
    [STUDENT]
    [STUDENT]
    brnin8r

don't know jack about jacks Empty
    PostSubject: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 1:53 pm

So, I'm wanting to purchase a hydraulic jack and jack stands for maintenance purposes on my vehicles. The curb weight of my Subie is around 3200 lbs, and my Ford Edge is close to 4300 lbs. My question is will a 2-ton jack be sufficient to lift my Edge? I did some internet searching, but mostly came back with results for fixing a 2-ton jack Smile Wasn't sure if I should look at a 3-ton jack and jack stands. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
    Back to top Go down
    gtolzien
    [STUDENT]
    [STUDENT]
    gtolzien

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 2:30 pm

i have a 2 ton jack that i use for the honda and a friend of mine has a 2 ton and he has a 2wd f350.. and hasnt died yet so lol id say you would be fine with a 2.
    Back to top Go down
    ZipDriveX
    [MASTER TECH]
    [MASTER TECH]
    ZipDriveX

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 2:42 pm

I've always just used 2-ton jacks..... but I've only worked on cars lol
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/317696
    billythekid
    [GEAR HEAD]
    [GEAR HEAD]
    billythekid

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 2:49 pm

i used a two ton jack on my old cummins, that weighed in over 10k lbs...i think you should be good. Gotta remember, you aren't jacking up the entire car, so the weight of the car isn't really an issue, until you get into alot heavier vehicles(like my old truck)
    Back to top Go down
    https://www.advocare.com/110212981/Store/default.aspx
    shawnss
    [MASTER TECH]
    [MASTER TECH]
    shawnss

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 3:34 pm

you should be fine with a 2-ton floor jack. my truck weights 5700lbs. i"m always jacking up my truck and the jack has worked just fine for me. like billy said your not lifting all hat weight at once. what brand jack are you looking into?
    Back to top Go down
    brnin8r
    [STUDENT]
    [STUDENT]
    brnin8r

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 4:43 pm

Thanks! In my mind, I figured that that was the case, but I wanted to be sure. I was thinking "the whole weight of the vehicle isn't going to be on that one point and would be balanced to the other 3 tires" therefore only lifting 25% of the gvw. Don't know if my physics is right on that, but I just wanted to make sure.

As far as brands, I'm open to suggestions. I don't know if anyone has ever used any of the Harbor Freight stuff, I know they often have sales. Additional thoughts/recommendations are welcomed. Thanks for the piece of mind!!
    Back to top Go down
    shawnss
    [MASTER TECH]
    [MASTER TECH]
    shawnss

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2011, 8:26 pm

really some of there stuff is good and some of its junk. as for the jack it probably would be a ok piece. its stuff like there drills and electrical stuff that tends to be junk. im not sure what your budget is but you could also check out sears for the craftsman jack or maybe even check out napa jacks they seem to be pretty decent. i've seen a few guys have good luck with the harbor freight jacks.
    Back to top Go down
    brnin8r
    [STUDENT]
    [STUDENT]
    brnin8r

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 9:06 am

Rock! Thanks for the advice. My budget, as normal, is cheap cheap cheap. I sound like a bird.
    Back to top Go down
    ProOnThaSnow
    [WEEKEND WARRIOR]
    [WEEKEND WARRIOR]
    ProOnThaSnow

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 9:39 am

Go grab a Honda Tuning or any car magazine really - there are ALWAYS Coupons for the harbor freight Jacks for like $69.99 or something like that.

I've yet to have a problem with one, but I've never lifted more than a Honda with it. For my truck and heavier vehicles I use the 3 ton Steel jack I have.

Also, don't buy the Harbor Freight jackstands, go to Sears. Their stands are cheaper (at 19.99 a pair). I've got probably 6 sets up at my shop and never had a problem with one, plus I think the Craftsman stands would be waraanteed if anything happens to them? Maybe not, but I'd try it, lol.

and remember, ALWAYS use jack stands when jacking a car. Never crawl under a car with just a jack or trust a jack, even if it is for only a few seconds

A set of jackstands can be purchased for what you'll save using that coupon from one of several magazines. Just go to Hastings, find the mag with it that interestes you and has the coupon (usually toward the back), stop by sears and pick up stands, then to Harbor Freight for a jack.
    Back to top Go down
    wile2k
    [ENTHUSIAST]
    [ENTHUSIAST]
    wile2k

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 10:13 am

As stupid as it seems, it is hard to find a good jack. I was recently tasked with finding one for my bro-inlaw and in researching them, there are only a few that people really talk highly of (and they are stupid expensive). Mine is a heavy steel old jack that my inlaws bought for my birthday maybe 10 years ago. Seems quality has gone downhill over time, the older the jack, usually the higher it is talked about. I finally suggested a craftsman set for him (jack, stands, creeper) mostly just because he lives in AZ and if there were any problems during the warranty period, I know that Sears is generally pretty easy to deal with (also the price was within the budget that they allocated).

As others so wisely stated, get the jack stands too, don't trust just the jack. Also, I'd suggest higher capacity (weight limit) jack stands just because they typically go taller and sometimes it is nice to be able to get the car safely "high" in the air (tranny swaps, pulling engine, etc).
    Back to top Go down
    gtolzien
    [STUDENT]
    [STUDENT]
    gtolzien

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 10:31 am

just get some really strong friends
    Back to top Go down
    brnin8r
    [STUDENT]
    [STUDENT]
    brnin8r

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2011, 11:01 am

gtolzien wrote:
    just get some really strong friends

So, just how strong is everyone here? I keed. Thanks for the LOL
    Back to top Go down
    Mishri
    [TRAINEE]
    [TRAINEE]

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2011, 2:57 pm

I bought a harbor freight jack, it's pretty nice, much better than what you find at sears. So far it's been good to me. I think i paid like $40 or 50 for it, has a long handle. I think Riptide (owen) bought a more expensive version of it, i'ts bigger and has a pad on it that one is really nice.
    Back to top Go down
    brnin8r
    [STUDENT]
    [STUDENT]
    brnin8r

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2011, 4:58 pm

I grabbed a used Goodwrench 2.5 ton jack @ my bro-in-law's pawn shop for $25. Plan to grab some jack stands from HF tho. Got coupons for them! Nice Stang btw.
    Back to top Go down
    Cyfun
    [GARAGE NUT]
    [GARAGE NUT]
    Cyfun

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2011, 10:07 am

Good choice, good price. I've gotten a few jacks at Harbor Break, and they're nice except they slowly let the car drop. As soon as I can, imma just get one of those nice $100 jacks from Costco.
    Back to top Go down
    https://www.youtube.com/cyfun/
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: don't know jack about jacks   don't know jack about jacks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

don't know jack about jacks
    Page 1 of 1