Montana Automotive Enthusiasts Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» 2021 Track days in Lewistown and Helena
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby DoodieHead November 20th 2020, 8:54 am

» FS Apple MacBook Pro MD318D/A 39,1cm 2,2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD HD 6750M $650
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby datomalli21 July 14th 2015, 12:17 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:13 am

» FS HTC One M9 32GB Gold $480/Apple iPhone 6 4G 64GB $400
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby Dert231 July 9th 2015, 12:12 am

» FS HTC One M9 M9u 4G LTE 32GB $500/Apple iPhone 6 16GB $390
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby Gtristk200 July 7th 2015, 1:40 pm

» FS HTC One M9 Plus 32gb 4g Lte Unlocked Gunmetal $540
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby Gtrikertiks010 June 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby malachilexaa June 8th 2015, 1:13 am

» All-Wheel Dyno landing Mid-July
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby ts4l June 7th 2015, 6:32 pm

» WTS iPhone 6 $350 128GB S6 Edge $350 128GB Original Unlocked
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby marquisroy June 7th 2015, 1:48 am

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb Factory Unlocked $470
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby izegbadimore330 May 26th 2015, 2:53 am

» GoPro Hero 4 and Many accessories.
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby SprockCapn May 21st 2015, 11:41 pm

» FS Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Factory Unlocked $600
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby Frtermaklill30 May 20th 2015, 4:20 am

» FS BLACKBERRY PASSPORT RGY181LW 32GB SQW100-1 UNLOCKED 4G $330
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby Tmertlserti May 12th 2015, 10:18 pm

» FS Pioneer DDJ-SX2 - 4-Channel DJ Controller with Serato $600
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby Dterrstermill3 April 30th 2015, 1:33 am

» 1995 talon seats, guages, subs,focus suspension
Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeby talontsi February 15th 2015, 2:14 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Dark Tuning??

Go down 
+5
DoodieHead
ScoobyBlack
ZipDriveX
Novaflash2002
b1r - TS
9 posters
AuthorMessage
b1r - TS
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
b1r - TS

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 10:30 am

I have seen some signatures on here with it and have heard others talk about it. So I am curious to find out more....who, what, when, where, how? I have gathered that the sti/wrx crowd is the target market? Do you have a shop location? I also noticed in the intro thread that Scoobyblack says he designs parts and works at Dark performance... what kind of parts for who? etc. etc.

Just wanted a heads up and might also help spread the word to others who are not familiar with you guys.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamsprock.com
Novaflash2002
[GARAGE NUT]
[GARAGE NUT]
Novaflash2002

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 11:30 am

Scooby black is the owner
Back to top Go down
http://sfrperformance.com
ZipDriveX
[MASTER TECH]
[MASTER TECH]
ZipDriveX

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 11:33 am

It's mainly Subaru-based, I'm sure Steve will fill in the rest......
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/317696
ScoobyBlack
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
ScoobyBlack

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 12:28 pm

Hey there Jake! DARK Customs and Tuning, LLC. (ie DARK Performance) was originally an Subaru ECU tuning-based company that I started to substantiate the casual OST tuning that I was doing for locals. As it stands today I've moved away from vehicle tuning since more and more local casual tuners are turning up, and I'm beginning to focus on the actual design of rally-inspired parts for Subarus and Mitsubishis (namely the Evolution and Lancer), though I would very much like to expand my product line to other makes and models in the future.

Currently DARK does not have a physical shop location as sales are primarily internet-based, though I would like to see what I can do in the future regarding leased space. Unfortunately, while the import scene is growing rapidly in Montana, it's still too light to be able to start a real successful locally-based tuner shop as of right now.

As of right now, my website is incomplete and does not represent the products which I carry. However, DARK 2.0 should be opening either later this month or early into November with the release of publicly available parts. I am in the process right now of working with several larger national tuner-shops to carry my products.

Basically, I'm really hoping to bring some national attention to the import scene here in Montana/Idaho/Wyoming area by getting a viral and media focus.

I very much appreciate the support of the local community, and if any of you have further questions feel free to ask; I'd be happy to explain as best I can.

Rest assured, all of you will be the first ones to know when I release the new site; locals with have first crack at all alpha products.

Thanks once again!

-Steve
Back to top Go down
b1r - TS
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
b1r - TS

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 1:35 pm

Interesting.... like I mentioned I had only herd a little here and there so I was curious. Are you looking to supply software type products (ecu, electronics) or hardware (intake, cams, exhaust??). There are several of us that have shared your vision of supplying a true tuning shop to Montana, however we have all felt your concern with the lack of demand. I know that will change over time.

I have been involved in various product design (most experience was with unmanned aerial vehicles for the milatary) in several aspects of my career so if I can ever lend a hand let me know (wether it be on a friendly (free) type basis or a buisness relationship).

I have a lot of hook ups on the enginering side if you ever have a need for 3-d design, Finite element analysis, Flow analysis etc.

Edit: after looking over your site I see that you are going in the direction of mechanical components, sounds fun! It appears you are motivated and heading in the right direction, best of luck on your journey... and again if I could ever be of any help, just let me know.

- Jake
Back to top Go down
ScoobyBlack
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
ScoobyBlack

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 2:34 pm

Thanks for the offer Jake! I agree, it'll be nice when Montana someday has the tuner population to support a shop. We can only hope!

Sounds like you answered your own question, but yes; I'll be focusing on the mechanical aspect of things, though I am certainly not limiting myself to these parts alone. I have CAD experience, and some very good contacts, and so far things are going ahead very well, albeit slowly.

Hopefully we'll talk in person sometime regarding all of this!

Thanks once again for the interest! Again, the support of the community goes a LONG way!

-Steve
Back to top Go down
b1r - TS
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
b1r - TS

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 3:54 pm

Curious, do we get a hint as to what products you will be launching?
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 5:37 pm

I am also interested Steven.
Back to top Go down
http://www.maecforum.com
heeb101
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
heeb101

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 5:55 pm

I still want a tow hook!!
Back to top Go down
SprockCapn
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]
SprockCapn

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 7:43 pm

heeb101 wrote:
I still want a tow hook!!

With some minimal tools and a chunk of mild steel you could make one pretty easily. Hopefully that doesn't mean your car breaks down and you have to tow it a lot :-)

Ha. Wait. In response to my own comment, Maybe I should be the one making a tow hook:-)

But seriously. It would be really easy to make.
Back to top Go down
ScoobyBlack
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
ScoobyBlack

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2009, 9:20 pm

b1r - TS wrote:
Curious, do we get a hint as to what products you will be launching?
I'll be focusing mostly on suspension, and parts inspired by the WRC circuit. Of course, I'll be adapting them to more 'streetable' standards. I'll look forward to showing you all the finished products!

SprockCapn wrote:
But seriously. It would be really easy to make.
That depends on the vehicle, of course. The Subaru Imprezas have a stock 'screw-in" style front towhook which would be pretty tough to make without a CNC mill. There are 'flat-style' once out there, but I personally like to utilize stock locations.

Thanks for the enthusiasm, guys! It means a lot!

-Steve
Back to top Go down
04 Wagon Boy
[STUDENT]
[STUDENT]

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2009, 12:53 am

What program are you using for CAD? I might be able to get you a veeeeeerrry good program called ProEngineer through the school.
Back to top Go down
b1r - TS
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
b1r - TS

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2009, 10:13 am

04 Wagon Boy wrote:
What program are you using for CAD? I might be able to get you a veeeeeerrry good program called ProEngineer through the school.

I am also curious what cad program you have used in the past. I started out on ProE (ProEngineer) about 7 years ago while in school. After that I jumped into Solidworks and have been using that ever since. I have a biased opinion obviously since I use only one program. But for about 95% of the cad work out there ProE is way overkill and way more time consuming. Solidworks has spent a lot of time making there program really user friendly and I think they have done a good job at it. If you can get a copy (of any drafting software) somehow then I would use it.... becasue it ain't cheap to buy! The only cheap readily available program that I have found to work good also is Alibra design. It is a cad/cam program that can be donwloaded as a free trial and it works unlimited for 30-days and then several of the features drop out. Something to play around with if you are new to the stuff.

Curious are you taking a course on ProE or do you just have access to it. (I know when I was in college I could get my hands on all sorts of pirated software)
Back to top Go down
ScoobyBlack
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
ScoobyBlack

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2009, 10:55 am

AutoCAD 2002, though I have access to SolidWorks 2009 with COSMOS as well. For what I'm doing , AutoCAD works best as files are more compatible with most CNC mill shops.
Back to top Go down
b1r - TS
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
b1r - TS

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2009, 11:34 am

Curious since you have FEA tools at your finger tips are you using that for strength calculations on your designs or how are you handling those issues? Do you have someone helping out with the engineering side or are you covering that?
Back to top Go down
ScoobyBlack
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
ScoobyBlack

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2009, 11:57 am

I've actually been working on conjunction with my machine shop to optimize the strength of my parts, while preserving the look that I want, as well as a competitive price. My shop specializes in military contracts, and as a result they're well versed in such things; the engineer I've been talking to is very helpful. However, depending on their future availability, I may be looking elsewhere do assistance with future products.

Obviously, strength is a priority since I'd like to see my products used in professional circuits.
Back to top Go down
b1r - TS
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
[WEEKEND WARRIOR]
b1r - TS

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2009, 12:08 pm

I assumed that is the direction you had been going. There is a ton of good knowledge to be learned from old machinests.

Is this happening locally? Just curious, I have never dealt with any machine shops locally so I am not even sure what they have to offer. I know they are out there, I just haven't ever had the need to use them.
Back to top Go down
ScoobyBlack
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
ScoobyBlack

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2009, 1:15 pm

Certain parts will be built locally since I'd really like to support local business, however, my primary shop is actually located in New Hampshire. The equipment and services that they offer is currently unparalleled in this area; it'll help me on cost and I'll be able to stock inventory far more quickly. This obviously helps not only me, but the customer as well.
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2009, 7:44 am

I want to see some prototype pics!!!
Back to top Go down
ScoobyBlack
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
ScoobyBlack

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2009, 10:01 am

Hopefully I'll have something to show you guys soon! Parts will have to be re-machined and powdercoated before I release pictures (sorry Mike!). I do have my initial prototypes, but they don't really give the best representation of what the final products will look like.
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2009, 7:20 am

No problemo, I can wait. Very excited to see some goodies.

I would also be interested in some tow hooks. Probably pink.
Back to top Go down
RedMitsu
[GEAR HEAD]
[GEAR HEAD]
RedMitsu

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2009, 6:47 pm

Are the parts that you are going to have made going to be Subaru specific?
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2009, 8:17 am

Pretty sure there are going to be universal pieces.
Back to top Go down
ScoobyBlack
[TRAINEE]
[TRAINEE]
ScoobyBlack

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2009, 12:00 pm

Many parts will be specific, as building specifics allows better quality control. However, there will certainly be some parts that are universal in application.
Back to top Go down
DoodieHead
[GOD LIKE]
[GOD LIKE]
DoodieHead

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2009, 6:06 pm

That is what I figured.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dark Tuning?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Tuning??   Dark Tuning?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Tuning??
Page 1 of 1